The Deceptive Nature of Field Lines

In summary, Griffin argues that field lines in nature are deceptively weak. Their strength is actually inversely proportional to r^2.
astro2cosmos
what is the meaning of deceptivness of field line??
i mean for 2d surface field line = n/2pi*r (f.l. inversly proportional to r) but for 3d surface f.l.= n/4pi*r^2 (f.l. inversly proportional to r^2), since electric field = kq/r^2??
what is the reason behind it?

it written in the introduction to electrodynamics of griffin//////

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
astro2cosmos said:
what is the meaning of deceptivness of field line??
i mean for 2d surface field line = n/2pi*r (f.l. inversly proportional to r) but for 3d surface f.l.= n/4pi*r^2 (f.l. inversly proportional to r^2), since electric field = kq/r^2??
what is the reason behind it?

it written in the introduction to electrodynamics of griffin//////
"Deceptiveness"? I don't believe I've ever seen that word in reference to field lines! If you are asking about why the 2d case is inversely proportional to r while the three dimensional case is inversely proportional to r2, it's because your field is indicating a "uniform" spread.

Back when I was in high school, my physics teacher showed us what he called a "butter gun". It was just a squirt gun with four rods coming out the barrel in a sort of cone. Supposedly you put butter in the squirt gun, a piece of toast in the rods, and squirted button on your toast! His real point was that the farther your toast was from the gun, the larger it had to be to fit in the rods- and since area is always proportional to a distance squared, if your toast was twice as far from the gun, it had four times the area. Since the same amount of butter was spread over four times the area, the thickness of the butter was 1/4 as much- "inversely proportional to r2".

Now imagine a two dimensional version of the same thing. Now instead of four rods, you have two, bounding, say, the top and bottom, and your "toast" is the line from top to bottom. It is easy to show now that if the "toast" is twice as far from the gun, its length is twice as large so the same amount of butter is spread over twice the distance and so the thickness is 1/2 as much- "inversely proportional to r".

HallsofIvy said:
"Deceptiveness"? I don't believe I've ever seen that word in reference to field lines! If you are asking about why the 2d case is inversely proportional to r while the three dimensional case is inversely proportional to r2, it's because your field is indicating a "uniform" spread.

Back when I was in high school, my physics teacher showed us what he called a "butter gun". It was just a squirt gun with four rods coming out the barrel in a sort of cone. Supposedly you put butter in the squirt gun, a piece of toast in the rods, and squirted button on your toast! His real point was that the farther your toast was from the gun, the larger it had to be to fit in the rods- and since area is always proportional to a distance squared, if your toast was twice as far from the gun, it had four times the area. Since the same amount of butter was spread over four times the area, the thickness of the butter was 1/4 as much- "inversely proportional to r2".

Now imagine a two dimensional version of the same thing. Now instead of four rods, you have two, bounding, say, the top and bottom, and your "toast" is the line from top to bottom. It is easy to show now that if the "toast" is twice as far from the gun, its length is twice as large so the same amount of butter is spread over twice the distance and so the thickness is 1/2 as much- "inversely proportional to r".

i don't understand this example if you have any other simple example then please give!

Griffiths was basically saying that in nature/reality the strength of the field lines are inversely proportional to r^2. He was pointing out that the diagram of the field lines shows only two dimensions, so according to his diagram, the field lines appear to be inversely proportional to r.

More simply, he wants the reader to understand that while his plot of the field lines is illustrative, it does not agree with nature. The diagram should have a third dimension, but this is hard to represent and so it was omitted.

Clear now?

1. What are field lines and why are they important in science?

Field lines are imaginary lines used to represent the direction and strength of a force field, such as electric or magnetic fields. They are important in science as they help us visualize and understand the behavior of these forces in a given space. They are also essential in solving many physics problems and designing technologies based on these forces.

2. Are field lines real physical entities or just mathematical concepts?

Field lines are considered as mathematical concepts, as they are not tangible objects that can be physically observed. They are used as a tool to represent and understand the behavior of force fields in a given space. However, their representation accurately reflects the real behavior of these forces.

3. Can field lines intersect with each other?

No, field lines cannot intersect with each other. This is because at any given point in space, there can only be one direction and strength of a force field. If field lines were to intersect, it would imply two different directions and strengths at that point, which is not possible.

4. What is the deceptive nature of field lines?

The deceptive nature of field lines refers to the fact that they can sometimes give a misleading representation of a force field. For example, in a uniform electric field, the field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other, giving the impression of a constant and uniform force. However, this is not the case, as the force actually decreases with distance from the source.

5. Can field lines be used to calculate the exact strength of a force field?

No, field lines cannot be used to calculate the exact strength of a force field. They only give a qualitative representation of the direction and relative strength of the field. To calculate the exact strength, other mathematical tools and equations are used, such as Coulomb's law for electric fields and the Biot-Savart law for magnetic fields.