Pressure Wave from Rapid Balloon Expansion

In summary, the conversation is about modeling the pressure wave created by rapidly inflating a balloon and calculating its frequency power spectra. The best way to solve for this is by calculating the velocity of the balloon membrane as it expands or using the pressure wave Green's function. The conversation then shifts to discussing the resemblance to a shock wave and the need for references. One reference mentioned is Fermi's measurement of the Trinity Site blast, in which he calculated the energy released from the blast by measuring the displacement of small pieces of paper.
firedancer414
Hello physics forum,

I'm interested in modeling the pressure wave created due to the rapid inflation of a balloon. Say I'm able to rapidly increase the temperature of the air in a balloon, faster than it can equilibrate its pressure with the outside air. It will expand to satisfy PV = T, and radiate a pressure wave. I'm interested in calculating the frequency power spectra of this pressure wave.

What is the best way to solve for this? One way I can think of is to solve for the velocity of the balloon membrane as it expands, but I'm not sure how I would calculate the membrane velocity. I also thought that I might just be able to use the pressure wave Green's function, and integrate that over the volume of increased pressure.

Please help! Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Upon further reflection, this bears resemblance to a shock wave. With this context in mind, is there some simple solution?

I work primarily with optics, I feel like a fish out of water! References, anything would be much appreciated =)

Read about Fermi's measurement of the Trinity Site blast in
http://www.cfo.doe.gov/me70/manhattan/trinity.htm [Broken]
"Probably the most mundane response of all was Fermi's: he had calculated ahead of time how far the blast wave might displace small pieces of paper released into it. About 40 seconds after the explosion, Fermi stood, sprinkled his pre-prepared slips of paper into the atomic wind, and estimated from their deflection that the test had released energy equivalent to 10,000 tons of TNT. "
fermi was about 10,000 meters away.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion?

A pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion is a phenomenon that occurs when a balloon is rapidly inflated, causing a sudden increase in air pressure inside the balloon. This pressure wave then travels through the surrounding air, creating a temporary disturbance in the air molecules and causing a noticeable sound or vibration.

2. How does a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion affect the surrounding environment?

The pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion can cause a temporary increase in air pressure in the surrounding environment, which can impact nearby objects and structures. This can also create a loud noise that may be disruptive to those in the vicinity.

3. What factors affect the intensity of a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion?

The intensity of a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion can be influenced by several factors, including the size and material of the balloon, the rate at which it is inflated, and the surrounding air temperature and pressure. Other factors such as altitude and humidity can also play a role.

4. Are there any potential safety concerns associated with a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion?

While the pressure wave itself is not typically dangerous, it can cause discomfort or startle individuals who are nearby. In rare cases, the force of the pressure wave may also cause damage to delicate objects or structures in the surrounding environment.

5. How can the effects of a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion be minimized?

The most effective way to minimize the effects of a pressure wave from rapid balloon expansion is to control the rate at which the balloon is inflated. Slower inflation will result in a gentler pressure wave with less intensity. Additionally, choosing a suitable location for inflating the balloon, away from sensitive objects or structures, can also help to reduce the impact.