Hermitian operators in schrodinger eqn.

In summary, in the conversation, the question was raised whether the Hamiltonian H(x,p)=p^2+p is Hermitian or not. After some calculations, it was determined that H is indeed Hermitian, as the imaginary number involved allows p to be Hermitian by itself. The concept of hermicity was further discussed, and it was mentioned that in general, if A and B are Hermitian, then so are An+Bm for any integers n and m. The "eigenvalue equation" proposed in the conversation was also clarified to not be an actual eigenvalue equation, and it was suggested to look at solutions to the Schrödinger equation to understand this concept further.
RedX
If the Hamiltonian is given by H(x,p)=[tex]p^2+p[/tex] then is it Hermitian?

I'm guessing it's not, because quantum-mechanically this leads to:
[tex]H=-h^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}-ih\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

and this operator is not Hermitian (indeed, for the Sturm-Liouville operator [tex]O=p(x)\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+k(x)\frac{d}{dx}+q(x)[/tex] to be Hermitian, p'(x) must equal k(x)). Actually, I'm no longer sure anymore, because the hermicity of the Sturm-Liouville operator assumes real coefficients, so maybe H is indeed Hermitian?

However, I just want to be sure because it's been awhile since I looked at quantum mechanics. Can the eigenvalue problem in quantum mechanics look like this:

[tex]H(x)\psi(x)=g(x)E\psi(x) [/tex]

for an arbitrary positive function g(x) (a weight function), and a Hermitian Hamiltonian H(x)?

Or does it have to be of this form instead:[tex]H(x)\psi(x)=E\psi(x) [/tex]

?Edit:

Never mind. P^2+P is Hermitian - the imaginary number involved with [tex]-i\frac{d}{dx} [/tex] allows P to be Hermitian by itself. I should have just calculated whether it was Hermitian directly, instead of trying to determine if it's Hermitian by comparing it to the Sturm-Liouville operator, which is the most general Hermitian operator for real 2nd-order linear operators.

Also, although [tex]H(x)\psi(x)=g(x)E\psi(x) [/tex] would be interesting, I don't think it's useful in constructing a quantum mechanics, because if you operate with H twice, then you don't get [tex]H(x)H(x)\psi(x)=(g(x)E)^2\psi(x) [/tex], so you don't get a simple expression for time translation [tex]e^(-iHt) [/tex] in the energy states.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You answered the first part yourself. In general, if A and B are hermitian, then so are An+Bm for any integers n and m. This is easy to verify.

The "eigenvalue equation" that you're asking about isn't an eigenvalue equation. Just look at the definition of an eigenvector. You should also think about what you get when you look for solutions to the Schrödinger equation of the form [itex]\psi(x,t)=T(t)u(x)[/itex]. This breaks the Schrödinger equation into two pieces, one of which is the eigenvalue equation for the Hamiltonian.

In summary, the operator H(x,p)=p^2+p is indeed Hermitian, as can be verified by directly calculating its adjoint operator and comparing it to the original operator. While the Sturm-Liouville operator is a general form of a Hermitian operator for real 2nd-order linear operators, it is not necessary for all Hermitian operators to follow this form. Additionally, while the eigenvalue problem in quantum mechanics can take on different forms, the standard form is H(x)\psi(x)=E\psi(x), which allows for a simple expression for time translation.

1. What is a Hermitian operator in the Schrodinger equation?

A Hermitian operator in the Schrodinger equation is a mathematical operator that represents a physical observable, such as position or momentum. It is named after mathematician Charles Hermite and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is a Hermitian operator related to the Schrodinger equation?

In the Schrodinger equation, the Hermitian operator acts on the wave function to determine the time evolution of a quantum system. This allows us to calculate the probability of measuring a certain value for the observable represented by the operator.

3. What are the properties of a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator has two main properties: it is self-adjoint, meaning that its adjoint is the same as the operator itself, and its eigenvalues are real numbers. These properties are important in ensuring that the operator represents a physically meaningful observable.

4. Can any operator be a Hermitian operator?

No, not all operators can be Hermitian operators. In order to be considered Hermitian, an operator must satisfy certain mathematical conditions, such as being self-adjoint and having real eigenvalues. Additionally, the operator must also correspond to a physical observable in quantum mechanics.

5. How are Hermitian operators used in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables, such as energy, momentum, and spin. By applying these operators to the wave function, we can calculate the probability of measuring a certain value for the observable. This is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.