Interval of Integration Symbol

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for denoting the interval over which a definite integral should be evaluated. These include using an invisible and visible vertical bar or using big elements. The conversation also mentions the cancel package as a useful tool for displaying expressions.
omegacore
Latex Question:

I am having a hell of a time finding how to put the large vertical bar used to denote the interval over which a definite integral should be evaluated. Can you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you put those with the integral sign:

\int_A^B f(x)\, dx

[tex]\int_A^B f(x)\, dx[/tex]Once you have evaluated the corresponding indefinite integral you need to evaluate it at the integration limits to determine the value of the definite integral.

\left.F(x)\right|_A^B

[tex]\left.F(x)\right|_A^B[/tex]The trick is to use an invisible \left part (\left.) paired with a visible vertical bar \right part (\right|).
An alternate approach is to use big honkin' elements. Getting bigr and Bigr and biggr and Biggr,

F(x)\bigr|_A^B, F(x)\Bigr|_A^B, F(x)\biggr|_A^B, F(x)\Biggr|_A^B

[tex]F(x)\bigr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\Bigr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\biggr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\Biggr|_A^B[/tex]

Thank you very much! It looks great!

I was very surprised this wasn't actually detailed somewhere already. In my searching I also learned about the cancel package, which you can use to show expressions canceling to zero or one or whatever!

1. What is the interval of integration symbol?

The interval of integration symbol is denoted by the notation [a, b], where a and b are the endpoints of the interval. It is used to indicate the boundaries of the integration process, specifying the range of values over which the integral is to be evaluated.

2. How is the interval of integration symbol used in calculus?

The interval of integration symbol is used in calculus to represent the bounds of the definite integral. It is placed on the outside of the integral sign and indicates the interval over which the function is to be integrated.

3. Can the interval of integration symbol be used for both single and double integrals?

Yes, the interval of integration symbol can be used for both single and double integrals. For single integrals, the symbol represents the interval along the x-axis. For double integrals, the symbol is used to specify the interval along both the x-axis and y-axis.

4. How is the interval of integration symbol related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The interval of integration symbol plays a crucial role in the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is used to determine the limits of integration, which are necessary for evaluating the definite integral and finding the area under a curve.

5. Can the interval of integration symbol be used to represent an infinite interval?

Yes, the interval of integration symbol can be used to represent an infinite interval. In this case, the lower bound a would be negative infinity and the upper bound b would be positive infinity. This is often seen in improper integrals, where the interval of integration extends to infinity.