Linear Algebra - Linear Transformations, Change of Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove a formula involving bases and linear transformations in a finite dimensional vector space. The solution involves using the definition of a linear transformation and understanding the concept of similar matrices. It is also important to note that the linear transformation, T, should be independent of the basis in order for the proof to work.
sassie

Homework Statement

I need to prove this formula, but I'm not sure how to prove it.[T]C = P(C<-B).[T]B.P(C<-B)-1

whereby B and C are bases in finite dimensional vector space V, and T is a linear transformation. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

T(x)=Ax
[x]C=P(C<-B)[x]B
Similar matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

T(x)=Ax
[T]C=[[T(c1)]C...[T(cn)]C

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose [x]B is some vector x represented in basis B and that Tx= y (independent of the basis).

Then, by definition of "PB<-C", PC<-B is P-1B<-C is so P^{-1}B<-C[x]C= [x]B.

Then TBP^{-1}B<-C[x]CxC= TB[x]B= [y]B and, finally, PB<-CTBP^{-1}B<-C[x]C= PB<-C[y]C= [y]_B.

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose [x]B is some vector x represented in basis B and that Tx= y (independent of the basis).

Okay, thanks! I did manage to get something like that before, but I got stuck because I didn't do the tx=y thing.

But may I ask, why does Tx= y need to be independent of the basis?

sassie said:
Okay, thanks! I did manage to get something like that before, but I got stuck because I didn't do the tx=y thing.

But may I ask, why does Tx= y need to be independent of the basis?
A linear transformation, T, is a function from vector space U to vector space V such that T(au+bv)= aT(u)+ bT(v). There are no "bases" required for its definition. Bases are only necessary to write the linear transformation as a matrix.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the structure of the vector space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation will always result in a straight line or plane, while a non-linear transformation can result in curved or non-linear shapes.

3. What is a change of basis?

A change of basis is the process of expressing the coordinates of a vector in terms of a different basis. This is often done to simplify calculations or to better understand the relationship between vectors.

4. How is a change of basis related to linear transformations?

A change of basis is related to linear transformations because it allows us to express the same vector in different coordinate systems, and therefore, different linear transformations can be applied to the same vector. This can help us understand how a vector changes when it is transformed from one basis to another.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra and linear transformations?

Linear algebra and linear transformations have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of equations, find optimal solutions, and model real-world phenomena.