Can a vulcan study quantum mechanics ?

In summary: I don't think it's possible for a vulcan to study quantum mechanics, they would probably go insane, like Tuvix.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
I don't think it's possible for a vulcan to study quantum mechanics, they would probably go insane, like Tuvix.

What do you think ?

se7nd1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Monocerotis said:
I don't think it's possible for a vulcan to study quantum mechanics, they would probably go insane, like Tuvix.

What do you think ?

se7nd1.jpg

Probably.

Maybe, except that Tuvix is a combination Vulcan / Telaxian, both and yet neither.

I think that since they had already figured out faster than light travel before the "First Contact" movie they probably had a pretty firm grasp of quantum mechanics.

Pattonias said:
I think that since they had already figured out faster than light travel before the "First Contact" movie they probably had a pretty firm grasp of quantum mechanics.

I always did wonder how the transporter worked.

Galteeth said:

I think that the transporter is a placebo effect. You become so convinced that you are going to be there that you are literally already there. :smile:

Pattonias said:

I don't know, they could have easily come up with a more complete theory in the first place and avoided the mess of QM alltogether.

Galteeth said:

In the words of Michael Okuda when asked how the Heisenberg compensator worked, "Very well, thank you."

Galteeth said:

It has a built in Heisenberg compensator.

Jokes aside. Krauss "The Physics of Star Trek" is actually quite a good book. The transporter is covered in one of chapters. And one side-effect of reading it is that you do learn something about real physics as well.
Also the "Heisenberg compensator" is actually quite a clever device.
Has anyone ever seen it mentioned in a QM course*?

*Not as a "real" device of course, but explaining why one would/wouldn't be needed for the transporter sounds like a fun assignment.

Edit: Janus was faster...

f95toli said:
It has a built in Heisenberg compensator.

Jokes aside. Krauss "The Physics of Star Trek" is actually quite a good book. The transporter is covered in one of chapters. And one side-effect of reading it is that you do learn something about real physics as well.
Also the "Heisenberg compensator" is actually quite a clever device.
Has anyone ever seen it mentioned in a QM course*?

*Not as a "real" device of course, but explaining why one would/wouldn't be needed for the transporter sounds like a fun assignment.

EDIT: Another thing about the book that i thought was funny, was they spent all this time on the specs of the equipment, the crucial aspect of "how" a particular technology worked was kind of brushed off.

Edit: Janus was faster...

I remember reading that when I was eleven. At the time, I figured there were some sort of electromagneic fields or something that picked apart a person's molecules based on a scan of their body and then reassmbled them in exactly the same way far apart. Of course, at the time I didn't know anything about quantum mechanics. But if you wanted to take a fictional guess, maybe the Heisenberg compensator figures out some margin of error whereas the reassembled person will be close enough to the classical person that it doesn't matter or something. I don't know, I'm not a physicist, and also the device isn't real.

It did occur to me when I was thinking about it that if this did exist, it would pretty much be the most advanced thing ever.

Spock: "I think Quantum Mechanics are very illogical."

Heisenberg: "Oh yeah! Well you have pointy ears..."

Spock: "Never mind."

Monocerotis said:

What do you think ?

se7nd1.jpg

Ugh, terrible episode...

1. Can a vulcan study quantum mechanics?

Yes, a vulcan can study quantum mechanics. Vulcans are known for their advanced intelligence and logical thinking which makes them well-suited for scientific fields such as quantum mechanics.

2. Are vulcans more adept at understanding quantum mechanics compared to humans?

It is difficult to say for certain as intelligence and understanding can vary among individuals, regardless of species. However, vulcans' logical thinking may give them an advantage in understanding the complex concepts of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some examples of how vulcans have contributed to the study of quantum mechanics?

Vulcans have made significant contributions to the study of quantum mechanics, such as developing advanced mathematical models and theories. They have also played a key role in the development and use of quantum technologies.

4. Do vulcans have a different perspective on quantum mechanics compared to humans?

Yes, vulcans may have a different perspective on quantum mechanics due to their logical and analytical nature. They may approach problems and theories in a more methodical and systematic manner.

5. How can a vulcan apply their knowledge of quantum mechanics to other fields of study?

Vulcans can apply their understanding of quantum mechanics to various fields, such as astrophysics, engineering, and computer science. Their knowledge can also aid in the development of advanced technologies and advancements in space exploration.