Elastic Collision: Contact Time?

In summary, a handball with a mass of 668 grams is thrown against a wall at a speed of 13.36 m/s, rebounds with the same speed, and exerts an average force of 12 N on the wall. The ball is in contact with the wall for a duration of time that can be calculated using the correct equation for change in velocity, taking direction into account.
Psych Berry

Homework Statement

A handball of mass 668 grams is thrown straight against a wall with a speed of 13.36 m/s. It rebounds straight back out with the same speed. The average force exerted on the wall by the ball is 12 N.

How long is the ball in contact with the wall?

Homework Equations

FΔt = mΔv (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 0.668 kg, Δv = 0 m/s, F = 12N
With the equation I used, the answer I get is 0 s, but the answer isn't 0 s.

Can anyone tell me what the correct equation to use is? Or what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are calculating Δv incorrectly. Don't forget to take direction into account.

Doc Al said:
You are calculating Δv incorrectly. Don't forget to take direction into account.

Thank you! That should have been so obvious. I got it right this time.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that no energy is lost during the collision and the objects involved bounce off each other without any deformation.

What is contact time in an elastic collision?

Contact time refers to the duration of time during which two objects are in contact with each other during an elastic collision. This is an important factor in determining the amount of force exerted on each object during the collision.

How is contact time calculated?

Contact time can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by one of the objects during the collision by the relative speed of the objects. This can be represented by the equation Δt = Δx/v, where Δt is the contact time, Δx is the distance traveled, and v is the relative speed.

What factors affect the contact time in an elastic collision?

The contact time in an elastic collision can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle at which they collide, and the elasticity of the objects. In general, a lower mass or higher velocity will result in a shorter contact time.

Why is understanding contact time important in elastic collisions?

Understanding contact time in elastic collisions is important because it helps us predict the behavior of objects during collisions and calculate the amount of force exerted on each object. This is useful in many fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.