Van Der-Waals Forces and Perturbation Theory for Atom Interactions

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, Van Der-Waals forces are weak intermolecular forces that exist between molecules or atoms due to the temporary dipoles created by the uneven distribution of electrons. Perturbation Theory for Atom Interactions is a mathematical method used to calculate the effects of small changes on the behavior of atoms or molecules. These two concepts are closely related, as Perturbation Theory is used to calculate Van Der-Waals interactions and predict the behavior of matter at the atomic level. In chemistry and physics, these concepts are crucial in understanding the bonding, properties, and stability of matter. They can also be applied to larger molecules, non-covalent interactions, and materials in condensed matter physics.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The van der waals forces describe the forces between neutral atoms, separated by a distance much larger than the typical size of a single atom, as we saw in class.
Therefore we describe the interaction between the atoms by: [tex]W=W_{dd}+W_{dq}+W_{qd}+W_{qq}+...[/tex] i.e W is the energy sum which has contributions from dipole-dipole, quadrapule-dipole, quadrapule-quadrapule and so.
In class we were shown that the first order correction due to dipole dipole interaction [tex]W_{dd}[/tex] vanishes, and we solved this with second order perturbation theory.
But this is actually justified if first order correction of all other contriubtions to W vanish as well. Show that this is the case here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find the quadrapule tensor Q for two atoms, but not sure how does this look like? i.e I know the general equation for the potential of a quadrapule and the euqation for the quadrapule itself, but don't know how to write Q explictly.
P.s
I am using Cohen-Tanoudji notation and his coverage of Vand Der Waals forces, in Vol 2, page 1130 complement Cx1.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am glad to see that you are interested in further exploring the van der Waals forces and their interactions between neutral atoms.

To answer your question, the quadrapole tensor Q for two atoms can be written explicitly as:

Q = α1 * α2 * (3 * r1 * r2 - r^2 * δij)

Where α1 and α2 are the polarizabilities of the two atoms, r1 and r2 are the position vectors of the two atoms, and δij is the Kronecker delta. This expression takes into account both the quadrapole moment of each atom and their relative positions.

Using this expression, we can then calculate the first order correction for the quadrapole-dipole interaction, W_{qd}, and show that it also vanishes. This is because the first order correction term involves the dot product of the quadrapole and dipole moments, which is equal to zero for two neutral atoms. Therefore, the first order correction for all other contributions to W also vanish, justifying the use of second order perturbation theory.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What are Van Der-Waals forces?

Van Der-Waals forces are weak intermolecular forces that exist between molecules or atoms due to the temporary dipoles created by the uneven distribution of electrons. These forces are also known as London dispersion forces, and they play a significant role in determining the physical properties and behavior of matter.

2. What is Perturbation Theory for Atom Interactions?

Perturbation Theory for Atom Interactions is a mathematical method used to calculate the effects of small changes or perturbations on the behavior of atoms or molecules. It is based on the assumption that the perturbation is small and can be treated as a correction to the initial system. This theory is essential in understanding the behavior of atoms in the presence of external fields or interactions with other atoms.

3. How do Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory relate to each other?

Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory are closely related because Perturbation Theory is used to calculate the Van Der-Waals interactions between atoms or molecules. By considering the weak interactions between atoms as small perturbations, Perturbation Theory can accurately predict the behavior of atoms and molecules in the presence of Van Der-Waals forces.

4. What is the significance of Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory in chemistry and physics?

Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory are essential concepts in chemistry and physics as they play a crucial role in many physical and chemical phenomena. These forces are responsible for the bonding between atoms and molecules, the properties of liquids and gases, and the stability of chemical compounds. Perturbation Theory, on the other hand, is a powerful tool that allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of matter at the atomic level.

5. Can Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory be applied to systems other than atoms?

Yes, Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory can be applied to other systems besides atoms. These concepts can be extended to study the interactions between larger molecules, such as proteins and DNA, and even between macroscopic objects, such as colloids and nanoparticles. The principles of Van Der-Waals forces and Perturbation Theory can also be applied to non-covalent interactions in chemical reactions and the behavior of materials in condensed matter physics.