Projectile Motion Lab: Understanding Speed and Trajectory

In summary, projectiles with the same range do not necessarily have the same initial speed. However, if the maximum altitudes of two projectiles are the same, then they must have the same initial speed. Additionally, projectiles with the same range do not necessarily have the same time of flight. In the scenario of two people throwing identical balls with the same initial speed, the ball thrown straight down will have a larger speed when it lands and a larger average speed for the time it is in the air compared to the ball thrown straight up. If two projectiles have the same initial speed and the same amount of time in the air, their trajectories will also have the same features. This can be solved using the standard constant acceleration equations, but it is also helpful
cubs_fanatic
1. if two projectiles have the same range must they ahve the same intial speed?

2. if the maximum altitudes of two projectiles are the same, must they have the same intial speed?

3. if two projectiles have the same range must they have the same time of flight?

4. two people are standing at the edge of a cliff. one throws a ball straight up and the other throws an identical ball straight down. the initial speds of the two balls are the same
A) which ball will have the larger speed when it lands? Explain.
B) which ball will have the larger average speed for the time interval it is in the air? Explain.

5. two pojectiles have the same intial speed and the same amount of time in the air. what other features of their trajectories are also the same? Explain.
20 minutes ago - 4 days left

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cubs_fanatic! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You can solve all these by using the standard constant acceleration equations.

Show us how far you get, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!

Have a go at #1 first :smile:

well for the first one i think the range is a displacement in the x component of velocity. the x-component of velocity does not change during the flight of the projectile. If the initial speed is the same, the range will have to be also.

Hi cubs_fanatic! :wink:

(btw, no need to pm me … everyone automatically gets email notification of any new post in any thread they're involved in :smile:)
cubs_fanatic said:
well for the first one i think the range is a displacement in the x component of velocity. the x-component of velocity does not change during the flight of the projectile. If the initial speed is the same, the range will have to be also.

No, that doesn't follow.

Yes, the range is a displacement in the x direction, but it doesn't only depend on the x-component of velocity, it depends on both components.

Do the two equations, for the x and y components separately, for a final distance r, an initial speed v and an initial angle θ …

what do you get? :smile:

how can i do the x and y components if i have no numbers to put into the equations. i don't understand this!

cubs_fanatic said:
how can i do the x and y components if i have no numbers to put into the equations. i don't understand this!

I gave you the numbers …

they're r v and θ :smile:

try doing the problem generally. Assuming no drag, the time to ascent is given by

V*sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])/g where g=9.8 and V= velocity

range is given by time x horizontal velocity; note that time here is twice that of the ascent.

recall sin(2[tex]\vartheta[/tex])= 2 sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])*cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

should allow you to develop a general eqn for range in terms of V and [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

I'll leave the rest to you...

I have not learned anything about projectiles and was given this worksheet to see what I know from studying vectors. I do not know what these equations i am given are for. Based on diagrams on the sheet of paper i have i am supposed to respond with "yes' or "no" to the questions. and the equations are not necesarry.

Fine, let's approach it w/o any math:

What is the range of a projectile shot vertically at high speed--say a gun? Now assume its just a tad off vertical and lands a few feet away. Any other way to lob the bullet the same distance?

i was thinking if a car went 5m/s and wanted to end up at a train station it would end up there at the same range of another car going 5m/s.

You're thinking in straight lines, projectiles in this question generally refer to objects shot at an angle like a cannon. The range is the distance the from the cannon the ball lands.

cubs_fanatic said:
I have not learned anything about projectiles and was given this worksheet to see what I know from studying vectors. I do not know what these equations i am given are for. Based on diagrams on the sheet of paper i have i am supposed to respond with "yes' or "no" to the questions. and the equations are not necesarry.

ah, it would have been better if you'd told us that at the start :rolleyes:

ok … does that mean you don't know about equations like v2 = u2 + 2as ?

i don't see how you can do this only with vectors :confused:

have you done derivatives of vectors (dv/dt etc) ?

or conservation of energy (KE + PE = constant) ?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How is projectile motion studied in a lab setting?

In a projectile motion lab, an object is launched at a known angle and velocity, and its motion is recorded using various tools such as a motion sensor or high-speed camera. Data is then collected and analyzed to determine the object's trajectory and other factors such as its velocity and acceleration.

3. What are the main factors that affect projectile motion?

The main factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the motion of the object.

4. What is the purpose of conducting a projectile motion lab?

The purpose of conducting a projectile motion lab is to study the laws of motion and understand how objects move under the influence of gravity. It also allows for the application of mathematical equations and principles to real-world situations.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion is commonly seen in sports such as basketball, baseball, and golf. It is also used in military applications such as launching missiles and in space exploration to send satellites and spacecraft into orbit.