Best Introductory Physics II books

In summary, the second semester of intro physics in the US typically uses the same textbook as the first semester and is focused on E&M and waves. There are many discussions and recommendations for good textbooks in the Science Books forum. Maxwell's original treatise may be too advanced and not suitable for a first-year student.
Mugwump101
I'm going to be taking second semester physics (calculus based) which is basically the E&M portion of the book and waves. I want some good textbooks and book recommendations. Like good books for understanding the materials.

Do you think A treatise on E&M by Maxwell is too advanced for me or is it good?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the USA at least, the second semester of intro physics almost always uses the same textbook as the first semester. Textbooks for these courses are written for two-semester sequences that include both classical mechanics and E&M. If you scan through threads in the Science Books forum (to which I've moved this thread), you'll find many that discuss intro physics textbooks.

Which one are you using already?

Don't even think about using Maxwell's original treatise as a supplement, except for simple historical curiosity. His notation and terminology are very different from what you find in present-day textbooks, and the level is at least advanced undergraduate, not first-year. Here's an online scanned version so you can see for yourself:

Volume 1

Volume 2

I would recommend starting with a textbook that is specifically designed for introductory physics II, as it will cover the necessary topics in a more focused and accessible manner. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. These textbooks are widely used in universities and provide a solid foundation in E&M and waves.

While Maxwell's "A treatise on E&M" is a seminal work in the field, it may be more suitable for advanced students or those with a strong background in physics. It may be beneficial to consult with your professor or a physics tutor before diving into this text. Additionally, there are many other resources available, such as online lectures and practice problems, that can supplement your textbook and aid in your understanding of the material. Good luck in your studies!

1. What are the best books for learning introductory Physics II?

Some of the best books for learning introductory Physics II include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

2. What topics should be covered in an introductory Physics II book?

An introductory Physics II book should cover topics such as electric and magnetic fields, circuits, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics concepts like relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement an introductory Physics II book?

Yes, there are various online resources that can supplement an introductory Physics II book, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

4. How can I choose the right introductory Physics II book for my learning style?

The best way to choose the right introductory Physics II book for your learning style is to read sample chapters or reviews to get a sense of the writing style and level of difficulty. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor or peers for recommendations.

5. Can introductory Physics II books also be used for self-study?

Yes, introductory Physics II books can be used for self-study, but it is important to supplement them with other resources and practice problems to fully understand the concepts. It may also be helpful to have a study partner or join a study group for additional support and discussion.