Converting a Vector Field from Cartesian to Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, to evaluate the line integral of a vector field over a unit square, you can convert the vector field to cylindrical coordinates and use Stoke's Theorem by relating Vx and Vy to Vr and Vtheta using the given equations.
jayz

Homework Statement

I have a rather complicated vector field given in cartesian coordinates that I need to evaluate the line integral of over a unit square. I know to use Stoke's Theorem to do this, and I suspect that the integral would be greatly simplified if it were in cylindrical coordinates, but I am having trouble with the conversion.

V(x,y) = Vx*ex+Vy*ey

Vx = sqrt(x/(x^2+y^2)
Vy = y/(sqrt(x^2+y^2))

Homework Equations

x = rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)
r = sqrt(x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted Vx to sqrt(rcos(theta)/r^2
and Vy to rsin(theta)/r

But I'm not sure how to relate Vx and Vy to Vr and Vtheta so that I can take the curl.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with converting the vector field to cylindrical coordinates. In order to relate Vx and Vy to Vr and Vtheta, you can use the following equations:

Vr = Vx*cos(theta) + Vy*sin(theta)
Vtheta = -Vx*sin(theta) + Vy*cos(theta)

Using these equations, you can then take the curl of the vector field in cylindrical coordinates to evaluate the line integral using Stoke's Theorem. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the magnitude and direction of a vector at every point in space. It is represented by a collection of arrows, with each arrow indicating the direction and strength of the vector at a specific point.

2. What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a system for describing the position of a point in space using three numbers, typically denoted as (x, y, z). The x-coordinate represents the horizontal position, the y-coordinate represents the vertical position, and the z-coordinate represents the depth or distance from the origin.

3. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a system for describing the position of a point in space using three numbers, typically denoted as (r, θ, z). The r-coordinate represents the distance from the origin, the θ-coordinate represents the angle from a fixed reference direction, and the z-coordinate represents the vertical position.

4. Why would you want to convert a vector field from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

Converting a vector field from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates can make it easier to visualize and analyze the field in certain situations. For example, if the vector field has rotational symmetry around the z-axis, using cylindrical coordinates can simplify the calculations and provide a clearer understanding of the behavior of the field.

5. What is the process for converting a vector field from Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

The process involves using equations to convert the x, y, and z components of the vector field to r, θ, and z components. This typically involves using trigonometric functions and basic algebra. Once the components are converted, the vector field can be represented in cylindrical coordinates and analyzed accordingly.