Second Order non-linear ODE

In summary, the conversation is about a second order non-homogeneous ODE with a and b as constants and s(x) as a n-dimensional vector. The question is whether this equation is solvable or if alternative numerical methods need to be used. The speaker also mentions that the equation is linear, unless s(x) depends on y(x). They later clarify that the equation needs to be solved in 1, 2, or 3 dimensions.
ayae
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light upon solving this:

s(x)'' = (a b s(x)) / ||s(x)||^3

Where s is a n dimensional vector, || || is operation finding the magnitude and a and b are constants.

Is this solveable or will I have to use alternative numerical methods?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can see, this a second order non-homogeneous ODE, that is it is linear, unless s(x) depends on y(x) in some way.

Lord Crc said:
From what I can see, this a second order non-homogeneous ODE, that is it is linear, unless s(x) depends on y(x) in some way.

Damn, silly me. Fixed.

bump, I only need it solved in 1, 2 or 3 dimensions.
Anyone please?

I can provide some insight into your question about solving a second order non-linear ODE. The equation you have provided is known as a second order non-linear ODE, which means that the equation contains a non-linear term (in this case, the term involving s(x)). Non-linear ODEs are notoriously difficult to solve analytically, meaning there is no known closed-form solution. Therefore, in most cases, alternative numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

One option is to use numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, or the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and using iterative calculations to find the solution. Another option is to use software such as MATLAB or Mathematica to solve the ODE numerically.

However, before resorting to numerical methods, it may be worth exploring if there are any simplifications or transformations that can be made to the equation to make it more manageable. Additionally, if you have specific boundary conditions or initial conditions, these can also help narrow down the solution and make it more solvable.

In summary, while it is unlikely that an analytical solution exists for this particular second order non-linear ODE, there are several numerical methods and software options available to approximate the solution. I hope this helps shed some light on your question.

What is a Second Order non-linear ODE?

A Second Order non-linear ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the second derivative of the function, and it is non-linear because it cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the function and its derivatives.

What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order ODE?

The main difference between a first-order and a second-order ODE is the highest derivative involved in the equation. A first-order ODE only involves the first derivative of the function, while a second-order ODE involves the second derivative. This means that a second-order ODE is more complex and can have a wider variety of solutions compared to a first-order ODE.

What are the applications of Second Order non-linear ODEs?

Second Order non-linear ODEs have many applications in different fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to describe the motion of particles and in chemistry to model reactions. They are also used in economics to study population dynamics and in biology to understand biological processes such as enzyme kinetics.

How do you solve a Second Order non-linear ODE?

Solving a Second Order non-linear ODE can be challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques. Some methods for solving these equations include substitution, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an analytical solution, and numerical methods may be the only option.

What are the boundary conditions for a Second Order non-linear ODE?

The boundary conditions for a Second Order non-linear ODE are the conditions that the solution of the equation must satisfy at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions can be specified as the values of the function and its derivatives at certain points. The choice of boundary conditions can affect the type and number of solutions to the equation.