Calculating Force in an Accelerating Elevator - Solving for Normal Force

In summary, in the conversation, a person weighing 70kg is in an elevator with an acceleration of 3m/s/s downward. The equation used to calculate the force exerted by the floor on the person is (mass)(acceleration) = normal force - (mass)(gravity). After solving, the normal force is found to be 490N.
contlee
A 70kg person is in an elevator the elevator has an acceleration of 3m/s/s DOWNWARD. What force will the floor exert on the person.

I am confused on the the equation. So far I think (mass)(acceleration)=(mass)(gravity)-(normal force). I know the mass is 70kg or 700N. I also know the acceleration is 3m/s/s. so i started to fill in my equation an i got -210=700-(Normal Force). But after solving I don't see that method resulting in the correct answer. HELP

Physics news on Phys.org

You put a minus sign in front of the acceleration, so your positive direction is up and the
negative direction is down. Gravity is also downwards, so it should get a minus sign as well.
The normal force is upwards, so it should not get a minus sign.

i am still confused, So i worked it out the way you told me, but since i am looking for the amount of force the floor is exerting on the person should i find the normal force. or should it just be Mass x Gravity

Here is my work
(Mass)(Acceleration)=Normal Force-(Mass)(Gravity)
-210=Normal Force -700
Normal Force= 490

The amount of force the floor is exerting IS the normal force, so your answer is
correct.

thanks for the help. really appreciate it

1. How does elevator acceleration work?

Elevator acceleration is the rate at which the elevator increases its speed while moving from one floor to another. This is achieved by the motor that powers the elevator, which controls the movement of the elevator car.

2. What factors affect elevator acceleration?

The main factors that affect elevator acceleration are the weight of the elevator car (including passengers), the strength of the motor, and the friction between the elevator car and the elevator shaft.

3. Can elevator acceleration be controlled?

Yes, elevator acceleration can be controlled by adjusting the motor or using an electronic system that regulates the speed of the elevator. This helps to ensure a smooth and safe ride for passengers.

4. Why is it important to have a smooth elevator acceleration?

A smooth elevator acceleration is important for the comfort and safety of passengers. Abrupt or jerky acceleration can cause discomfort and even injuries, especially for elderly or disabled individuals.

5. How do elevators accelerate in high-rise buildings?

Elevators in high-rise buildings use a counterweight system to help with the acceleration. The counterweight balances the weight of the elevator car, making it easier for the motor to accelerate the car upwards.