Can Non-Riemannian Geometry Exist Without a Metric?

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
In summary, Non-Riemannian Geometry is a type of geometry where the distance is defined using a function instead of a metric. This means that there is no Bilinear form or dependence on a metric. Finsler geometry is one example of Non-Riemannian Geometry, where a norm is defined instead of an inner product. Other examples include Lorentz metrics and Banach spaces.
zetafunction
Non-Riemannian Geommetry ??

in Riemann Geommetry one needs a metric to define a distance so

[tex] ds^{2}= g_{i,j}dx^{i}dx^{j} [/tex] is a Bilinear form

the idea is can this be generalized to a non-metric Geommetry ? i mean, you define the distance via a function F so

[tex] ds^{2}= F(x_{i} , x_{j},dx_í} , dx_{j} ) [/tex]

so this time we do not have a Bilinear form or we do not have or depend on a metric [tex] g_{i,j} [/tex] is this the Non-Riemannian Geommetry ??

Physics news on Phys.org

The only example I know is Finsler geometry.

The word "Riemannian" also usually implies that the quadratic form g is positive definite. Then Lorentz metrics constitute "non-Riemannian" geometry, but since changing the signature is not too big of a change, usually we just say "pseudo-Riemannian".

As Quasar mentions, Finsler geometry is another option. Finsler geometry is to Riemannian geometry as Banach space is to Hilbert space. That is, in Finsler geometry, you define a norm, but not an inner product. The norm satisfies the triangle inequality, but there is no notion of angles. There are some other properties that I can't remember.

1. What is Non-Riemannian Geometry?

Non-Riemannian Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric spaces that do not satisfy all of the axioms of Riemannian Geometry. It allows for the measurement of distances and angles in curved spaces, which is useful in many areas of science and engineering.

2. What are some examples of Non-Riemannian Geometries?

Some examples of Non-Riemannian Geometries include hyperbolic geometry, elliptic geometry, and projective geometry. These geometries have different rules for measuring distances and angles compared to Euclidean geometry, which follows the axioms of Riemannian Geometry.

3. How is Non-Riemannian Geometry used in science?

Non-Riemannian Geometry is used in many fields of science, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is particularly useful in the study of general relativity and the behavior of objects in curved spacetime. It also has applications in computer graphics and computer vision.

4. What are the main differences between Riemannian and Non-Riemannian Geometry?

The main difference between Riemannian and Non-Riemannian Geometry is that Riemannian Geometry follows all of the axioms of Euclidean geometry, while Non-Riemannian Geometry only follows some of the axioms. This allows for the study of more complex and curved spaces, which is not possible in Riemannian Geometry.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Non-Riemannian Geometry?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Non-Riemannian Geometry. Some examples include GPS technology, which uses Non-Euclidean Geometry to calculate distances on the curved surface of the Earth, and the study of black holes in astrophysics, which requires the use of Non-Riemannian Geometry to understand the curvature of spacetime. It also has applications in computer vision, robotics, and architecture.