What Maths to Take To Prepare For Computer Engineering Degree

In summary, it is recommended to take Calculus 1, Probability 1, Statistical Methods, Vectors and Mechanics, and Discrete Maths in preparation for a Computer Engineering degree. These courses will provide a solid foundation for both theory and application in the field. However, the specific course requirements may vary depending on the university you plan to attend.
KillaKem
What courses to Take To Prepare For Computer Engineering Degree

Due to a few complications i will not be able to go to the UK to study Computer Engineering this September, I have to wait for September 2011 to start my degree.In the meantime i will be taking courses at the local National University, this semester will be taking all Physics courses available (except Physics Practicals which i don't think need that much), a programming course, but i am not sure which Maths,Stats and Comp. Science courses will be the best to prepare me for my degree.I want to pick a total of about 4 or 5 from of the following:

Maths: Set and Number Theory, Calculus 1, Vectors and Mechanics, Mathematical Statistics.

Stats: Statistical Distributions 1, Probability 1, Statistical Methods, Statistical Computing and Field Survey.

CSI: Discrete Maths, Machine Organisation, Numerical Methods.

Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

KillaKem said:
Maths: Set and Number Theory, Calculus 1, Vectors and Mechanics, Mathematical Statistics.

Stats: Statistical Distributions 1, Probability 1, Statistical Methods, Statistical Computing and Field Survey.

CSI: Discrete Maths, Machine Organisation, Numerical Methods.

Any Suggestions?
They all sound fine and useful and I've had to take some variant of most of them for my compE degree. I vote for Calc, Probability, Statistical Methods, and Vectors & Mechanics. Discrete math is useful if you go the theory route, numerical methods is better for applied math.

Thank you

But I'm not sure about probability, someone told me its ridiculously difficult.The rest look OK.I think I'll go for them.

KillaKem said:
But I'm not sure about probability, someone told me its ridiculously difficult.
You'll probably have to take it eventually, as you need it for various EE communications courses, but look at the school you're planning on applying to.

I would recommend taking as many math courses as possible to prepare for a computer engineering degree. In particular, calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are essential for understanding the theoretical foundations of computer engineering. These courses will help you develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving techniques that are necessary for success in this field.

I would also suggest taking courses in discrete mathematics, as it is the foundation of computer science and provides a strong basis for understanding algorithms and data structures. Additionally, courses in statistics and probability will be beneficial for understanding data analysis and machine learning, which are important in computer engineering.

In terms of computer science courses, I would recommend taking programming courses that focus on programming languages commonly used in computer engineering, such as C++, Java, and Python. It would also be beneficial to take courses in computer organization and numerical methods, as these will provide a deeper understanding of how computers work and how to solve complex problems using computational methods.

Ultimately, the key is to have a strong foundation in math and computer science principles, as these will be the building blocks for your future studies in computer engineering. I would also suggest discussing your course selection with an academic advisor at your university to ensure that you are taking the most relevant and beneficial courses for your specific degree program.

1. What specific math courses should I take to prepare for a computer engineering degree?

The specific math courses that you should take to prepare for a computer engineering degree will vary depending on the university or college you plan to attend. However, some of the most common math courses that are recommended for computer engineering majors include calculus, discrete mathematics, linear algebra, and statistics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for a computer engineering degree?

Yes, having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in a computer engineering degree. Many computer engineering courses require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. Additionally, computer engineering involves designing and developing complex systems, which often involves complex mathematical calculations.

3. Can I take additional math courses beyond the recommended ones for a computer engineering degree?

Yes, you can take additional math courses beyond the recommended ones for a computer engineering degree. Taking more advanced math courses, such as differential equations or advanced calculus, can provide you with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts that are relevant to computer engineering.

4. Are there any math courses that are not necessary for a computer engineering degree?

While the specific math courses required for a computer engineering degree may vary, most universities and colleges will not require courses such as geometry or trigonometry. These courses are typically covered in high school and are not directly relevant to computer engineering.

5. How can I prepare for the math courses required for a computer engineering degree?

To prepare for the math courses required for a computer engineering degree, it is recommended to review and strengthen your understanding of algebra and trigonometry. You can also practice solving mathematical problems and equations to improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking out resources such as online tutorials or textbooks can help you prepare for specific math courses.