Period of superposed cyclic integer rows

In summary: Each modulus has its indicator funtion, which is zero or one, and they are added or multiplied. I think the question is how to walk through the combined indicator function, so maybe the use of a discrete Fourier is appropriate - I am puzzled - I hope that it is a common question - but I could not find a solution in the web - or could not formulate it adequate.In summary, the given conversation discusses the process of creating two arrays, Gai and Gbj, by cumulating the numbers in two given rows (ai and bj) in a round-robin manner. The first question posed is how to express all the numbers in Gai U Gbj as a function, and the second question is about the resulting period of
mahch
Take two rows of respective length m and n:
a1, a2, a3,..., am and b1, b2, b3, ..., bn.

Then produce as follows the generated array Gai to contain these elements:
a1, a1+a2, a1+a2+a3, ..., a1+..+am,
a1+..+am+a1, a1+..+am+a1+a2, ...

Alike produce the generated array Gbj to contain these elements:
b1, b1+b2, b1+b2+b3, ..., b1+..+bn,
b1+..+bn+b1, b1+..+bn+b1+b2, ...

The numbers ai and bj are cumulated cyclically to produce their respective arrays Gai and Gbj.

Two questions are open to be analyzed (by me) - hope someone has a hint:
1. How to express analitically all numbers contained in Gai U Gbj as a function.
2. Since the rows ai and bj has periods m and n respectively, what is the resulting period of the superposition , ie. the period of Gai U Gbj?

I appreciate your comment or hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahch said:
Take two rows of respective length m and n:
a1, a2, a3,..., am and b1, b2, b3, ..., bn.

Then produce as follows the generated array Gai to contain these elements:
a1, a1+a2, a1+a2+a3, ..., a1+..+am,
a1+..+am+a1, a1+..+am+a1+a2, ...

Alike produce the generated array Gbj to contain these elements:
b1, b1+b2, b1+b2+b3, ..., b1+..+bn,
b1+..+bn+b1, b1+..+bn+b1+b2, ...

The numbers ai and bj are cumulated cyclically to produce their respective arrays Gai and Gbj.

Two questions are open to be analyzed (by me) - hope someone has a hint:
1. How to express analitically all numbers contained in Gai U Gbj as a function.
2. Since the rows ai and bj has periods m and n respectively, what is the resulting period of the superposition , ie. the period of Gai U Gbj?

I appreciate your comment or hint.

looks to me like you have an infinite set.

Yes sure, the numbers are going infinite, but the indicator function on the set ai has periodic behaviour. That is what I am aiming at.

To illustrate take the following two simple sets to begin with:
Let ai = { 7, 4, 7, 4, 7, 12, 3, 12 }
and bj = { 12, 6, 11, 6, 12, 18, 5, 18 }

whereby the numbers in the set are cumulated round robin, as described in my first post. So the indicator funtion has a 1 on postion 7, 11, 18, 22, 29, 41, 44, 56, 56+7, 56+7+4, etc etc.

The same for the bjs : the indicator has a non-zero (=1) on 12, 18, 29, 35, 47, 65, 70, 88, 88+12, 88+12+6, etc. etc.

So obviously the indicator on both sets ai and bj separately, are periodic (periodicity = 8). So the superposition of both periodical sets have a periodicity ( like a discrete Fourier).

The first question would be what that period looks like and how it is calculated. It can be done heuristically with excel sheets, but that is unsatisfactory.
Also, what does the superposed indicatorset looks like.

Having these two superposed, the a third set of ck would be superposed with the first superposition - and so on.

That is where my (more generalized) initial question arose from.

Now that I understand you more, I would think the period will repeat after the indicator element=1 at 8*7*11 since 56 = 8*7 and 88 = 8*11 and have a period as high as 8*(7+11) elements not excluding any duplicate occurrences of the same integer in each set. See if that compares favorably with your spread sheet.

ramsey2879 said:
Now that I understand you more, I would think the period will repeat after the indicator element=1 at 8*7*11 since 56 = 8*7 and 88 = 8*11 and have a period as high as 8*(7+11) elements not excluding any duplicate occurrences of the same integer in each set. See if that compares favorably with your spread sheet.

Thank you - that covers my results - The Question I am most eager to get answered is: how to 'walk through the ONEs' of the combined indicator function. That is, a function walking me through the ONEs, or better even the other way around, walk me through the ZEROs. I think this should be could be done by a discrete Fourier, but am puzzling how to do this best.

To answer part of your question, the 'period' (of the index, in the restricted sense you have used, since the sequence itself is not periodic) of the combination will be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_common_multiple" (m,n).

I suppose you have noticed that you only need to describe any particular sequence, say Ga, only up to the length m of the array: if you divide any possible index x by m, to produce a quotient q and a residue r (x = qm+r), then Gax = q Gam + Gar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodo said:
To answer part of your question, the 'period' (of the index, in the restricted sense you have used, since the sequence itself is not periodic) of the combination will be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_common_multiple" (m,n).

I suppose you have noticed that you only need to describe any particular sequence, say Ga, only up to the length m of the array: if you divide any possible index x by m, to produce a quotient q and a residue r (x = qm+r), then Gax = q Gam + Gar.

absolutely true - this is the periodicity or the modulus. Since multiple 'rows' with their own modulus are superposed, the question still is how to formulate the superposition at number n.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "Period of superposed cyclic integer rows"?

The period of superposed cyclic integer rows is a mathematical concept that describes the repetition of patterns in a sequence of numbers. It refers to the number of elements in the sequence before it starts to repeat itself.

2. How is the period of superposed cyclic integer rows calculated?

The period of superposed cyclic integer rows is calculated by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the individual periods of each row in the superposition.

3. What is the significance of the period of superposed cyclic integer rows?

The period of superposed cyclic integer rows has applications in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and music theory. It helps in analyzing and predicting patterns in sequences of numbers and can be used in the development of algorithms and encryption techniques.

4. Can the period of superposed cyclic integer rows be infinite?

Yes, in some cases, the period of superposed cyclic integer rows can be infinite. This happens when the individual periods of the rows in the superposition are relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors. In such cases, the LCM is equal to the product of the individual periods, resulting in an infinite period.

5. How is the period of superposed cyclic integer rows related to prime numbers?

The period of superposed cyclic integer rows is closely related to prime numbers. If the individual periods of the rows in the superposition are all prime numbers, then the period will also be a prime number. This relationship has implications in number theory and can be used to generate prime numbers.