Solving for x in terms of y: Methods and Alternatives

• Thread starter phymatter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a method for solving equations using completing the square. The quadratic formula is derived from this method. The process involves adding a term to both sides of the equation and then using square roots to solve for x. The attachment involves solving an equation using this method.
phymatter
Can Anyone Understand this?

See the attachment///
Can Anyone Understand this?
I mean what metod has he followed to solve this equation for x in terms of y , does someone have any method to solve it other than the quadratic formula?/

Attachments

• solve for x.JPG
    solve for x.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org

It's called "completing the square", and it's where the quadratic formula comes from. Remember, if I have:
[tex]x^2+2ax + a^2 = 0[/tex] , I can write it as
[tex](x+a)^2 = 0[/tex] .
So if I have
[tex]ax^2+bx+c = 0[/tex]
I can write it as:
[tex]x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+(\frac{b}{2a})^2 =(\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{c}{a}[/tex]
where I have added [tex](\frac{b}{2a})^2[/tex] to both sides. This is also:
[tex](x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 = (\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{c}{a}[/tex]
or:
[tex](x+\frac{b}{2a}) =\pm\sqrt{(\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{c}{a}}[/tex]
or:
[tex]x =-\frac{b}{2a}\pm\sqrt{(\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{c}{a}}[/tex]
or:
[tex]x =\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

This is what they have done, but with [tex]\frac{7y+13}{24}[/tex] playing the role of [tex]\frac{b}{2a}[/tex]

Thanks friend

1. Can anyone understand complex scientific concepts?

Yes, with the right amount of effort and dedication, anyone can understand complex scientific concepts. It may take more time for some individuals, but with proper guidance and resources, even the most complex concepts can be comprehended.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in science to understand complex concepts?

Having a background in science can certainly make it easier to understand complex concepts, but it is not a requirement. With determination and a willingness to learn, anyone can grasp scientific concepts regardless of their background.

3. How can I improve my understanding of complex scientific concepts?

One way to improve understanding is to break down the concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can allow for a step-by-step understanding and build upon each piece until the concept is fully comprehended. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as books, online lectures, or consulting with experts in the field can also aid in understanding complex concepts.

4. Are there any techniques or strategies that can help with understanding complex concepts?

There are various techniques and strategies that can help with understanding complex concepts. Some of these include creating visual aids, taking notes, discussing the concepts with others, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems or experiments. It is important to find what works best for each individual to aid in their understanding.

5. How can I apply my understanding of complex concepts to real-life situations?

Understanding complex scientific concepts can have numerous real-life applications. By understanding the underlying principles, one can apply this knowledge to problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking in various situations. Additionally, understanding complex concepts can also lead to advancements in science and technology, which can have a positive impact on society as a whole.