REU or Research at Home University?

In summary, the speaker is a junior at a top-ranked research institution and is considering doing an REU for the summer. However, their adviser suggests staying at the home institution to work with the same professor for their senior thesis. The speaker is concerned about getting enough letters of recommendation for graduate school and also feels uncomfortable turning down REU acceptances after their letter writers have helped them. They ask for suggestions and are advised to talk to the professor they want to work on their thesis with and to not worry about turning down REU acceptances. The speaker also mentions not knowing their teachers well enough to ask for letters and the importance of having backup letters. They clarify that they are planning on doing research in a different field for their thesis and their
Nlelith
Hello all. I'm currently a junior at my University and have applied to many summer REUs. The trouble is, I've talked with my adviser and he thinks I might be better off staying at my home institution to do research because it will allow me to continue working with the same professor for my senior thesis.

But doing this, I would only be able to get a letter of recommendation from my current professor and the professor I work with over the summer and, I as understand it, most grad schools require three. I also don't really know any of my teachers well enough to ask for a letter either. And this may sound silly, but I would also feel bad about turning down REU acceptances after my letter writers went through all the trouble to help me.

I feel a bit uncomfortable saying where I go but in order to give more information, I will say that it's an excellent research institution ranked within the top 20 by http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...raduate-schools/top-physics-schools/rankings", if that means anything.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be very grateful for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nlelith said:
allow me to continue working with the same professor for my senior thesis.
Talk to the professor you want to work on the thesis with, as he may be happy to take you on even if you go do the REU, 'specially if the REU isn't the whole summer or you can work from wherever the REU is at. Basically, a few of the professors I know aren't all that possessive of their students and are even somewhat supportive of branching out.

I would also feel bad about turning down REU acceptances after my letter writers went through all the trouble to help me.
Don't sweat it, letter writers know things don't always pan out.

I also don't really know any of my teachers well enough to ask for a letter either
You should get some back ups anyway, 'cause a) I've applied to things that wanted 5 letters, b) some applications have specific requirements for your recommenders (must know you for X years, must be in your major, etc.) c) you don't want to be dependent on an REU you haven't done yet.

yes, you don't want to be dependent on an REU for a letter. for all you know, you may have a negative experience there and... well a letter wouldn't do all that much good.

also, every department (and professor) looks at graduate apps a little differently...
ive heard one that essentially said "of the three letters, two will be mediocre. they will essentially be 'i have no objections to this student entering a phd program'. the last one is the one that makes or breaks you. that should be your research adviser".
keep in mind that no reasonable graduate program is going to expect that you've done extensive research with three different professors.
personally, i would shoot for your adviser (duh), maybe the REU professor, and a professor who's class you did well in- particularly a demanding laboratory class as those require the ability to write (something they should talk about in their letter btw)

also, keep in mind that most research done by undergrads is kind of meaningless. for the most part (and this may not apply to you, as your prof is trying to squeeze more work out of you), research by undergrads is more a learning process than a publication process.

although it is a bit weird to see a professor wanting to keep you for a summer of research for your senior thesis. as above, most professors want their students to branch out to new areas. is there more to this? do you need specialized training for lab equipment or something that can only be done over summer?

Thank you for the replies. I've heard that it's best to start asking for letters around October, which doesn't really leave enough time to get to know teachers for my fall classes. That leaves the teachers for the classes I'll have already taken, all of which probably don't even know my name. So I suppose that leaves asking my adviser for a letter when the time comes.

Now, allow me to clarify a few things: the professor I'm working with now is not the one I'm planning on doing a thesis with. I'm looking to do research in another field to get some more experience and have a list of professors I would like to talk with. I've looked into the research for one my adviser highly recommends (whom I've talked to before, he's really nice) and plan on meeting with him sometime soon. My adviser also says it's best to have some previous experience with a professor before doing a senior thesis with them and that the research I do over the summer can potentially lead to a thesis.

After reading your replies and typing this all out, I now feel like it really would be a good idea to do research at my University as opposed to an REU (unless I were to get into one of the more prestigious ones, which seems very unlikely at this point). I think this is what I'll try to do, unless anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't.

Thank you again.

I can understand your dilemma and the importance of getting strong letters of recommendation for graduate school applications. It is also beneficial to have experience working with different professors and in different research environments. However, there are also advantages to staying at your home university for research.

Firstly, as your adviser mentioned, staying at your home university allows you to continue working with the same professor for your senior thesis. This can provide you with a deeper understanding of the research topic and potentially lead to a stronger project and thesis. Additionally, it can also give you the opportunity to build a strong relationship with your professor, which can result in a more personalized and meaningful letter of recommendation.

Furthermore, while it is ideal to have three letters of recommendation, it is not always necessary. Admissions committees understand that not all students have the opportunity to work with multiple professors and can still make a well-informed decision based on the quality of the letters you do have.

In terms of feeling bad about turning down REU acceptances, it is important to prioritize your own academic and career goals. If staying at your home university aligns with those goals, then it is a valid choice to make. It is also worth mentioning that you can still apply for other research opportunities in the future, even after your senior year.

In terms of the ranking of your home institution, while it may hold some weight, what matters most is the quality of your research and the experiences you gain. So, whether you choose to stay at your home university or participate in an REU, do your best and make the most of the opportunities presented to you.

In conclusion, my suggestion would be to carefully consider your options and the potential benefits of staying at your home university for research. Ultimately, it is important to prioritize your own academic and career goals and make a decision that aligns with them. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program offered by many universities in the United States. It provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How can I apply for an REU program?

The application process for REU programs varies from university to university. Generally, you will need to fill out an application form, submit your transcripts, and provide letters of recommendation. You may also need to write a personal statement and participate in an interview. The application deadlines also vary, so it is important to check the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.

3. Can I participate in an REU program at my home university?

Yes, many universities offer REU programs for their own undergraduate students. These programs are typically referred to as "Research at Home University" programs. They provide the same opportunities for students to engage in research projects, but within their own university and with their own faculty members.

4. Is it possible to receive funding for an REU program?

Yes, most REU programs provide funding for participating students. This funding typically covers a stipend for living expenses, as well as travel and housing costs. Some programs may also offer additional benefits, such as course credits or research supplies.

5. Can I participate in multiple REU programs?

Yes, you can participate in multiple REU programs during your undergraduate career. However, it is important to keep in mind that each program has its own application process and deadlines, so it may require careful planning and coordination. Additionally, some programs may have restrictions on participation, such as limiting students to only one REU program per summer.