Quick Angular frequency question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular frequency of an electromagnetic wave using the general wave equation in standard form. The speaker is given the variable k and needs to find the angular frequency w, but is unsure how to do so without finding the period. They attempted to solve the speed equation v=w/k for w, using the speed of light for the speed and their attempt was confirmed to be correct.
sarahaha288

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the angular frequency of an electromagnetic wave given a general wave equation in standard form
Esin(kx-wt)
I am given the variable k, and i need to find the angular frequency w. I am not sure how to do this without finding the period, which i can't find without angular velocity.

Homework Equations

w=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the speed equation v=w/k for w and using the speed of light for the speed, but I'm not sure if that is right...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt at a solution is correct.

Alright, thanks so much!

1. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or oscillating. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to frequency?

Angular frequency is directly proportional to frequency. The formula for this relationship is ω = 2πf, where ω is angular frequency and f is frequency. In other words, the higher the frequency, the higher the angular frequency and vice versa.

3. How is angular frequency different from linear frequency?

Angular frequency measures the rate of rotation or oscillation, while linear frequency measures the number of complete cycles per unit of time. Angular frequency is typically used to describe circular or oscillatory motion, while linear frequency is used for linear motion.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular frequency?

The unit of measurement for angular frequency is radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (RPM) or cycles per second (Hz).

5. How is angular frequency used in science and engineering?

Angular frequency is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and mechanical engineering. It helps describe the behavior of rotating or oscillating systems, and is used in calculations involving forces, velocities, and energies.