Using DC Motor as Generator to Build a Wind Turbine

In summary, the speaker is attempting to build a wind turbine using a permanent magnet dc motor from a treadmill as the generator. They are not very knowledgeable about electricity but are trying to learn. They have taken pictures of the motor and are using a multimeter to test it. They have found that the motor registers around 10 amps on the 12A setting but does not register any voltage on the DC V or AC V settings. The speaker is unsure if this means the motor can be used as a generator for a wind turbine. Additionally, they are not sure what "chucked" means and are considering using a pull-string to generate more output. The motor may work as a generator if they are able to get 10 amps out of
7yler
I am attempting to build a wind turbine, as many have successfully. I have read that a permanent magnet dc motor out of a treadmill will serve well as the generator for the turbine. I'm not very electrically savvy, but I'm attempting to learn. I have posted pictures of the motor, and the multimeter that I'm using. I hooked up the red wire on the motor to the red wire on my meter, and the black wire on the motor to the black wire on my meter. I then chucked the spindle of the motor and spun it in my drill to see if I could get a reading on the meter. I had no reading on any of the "DC V" settings, and no reading on any of the "AC V" settings. BUT, I did have a reading of around 10 on the "12A" setting. I tested all settings turning the motor clockwise, and well as ccw. What does this mean? Am I able to use this as a generator for a wind turbine? :confused: Thanks for any help.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8f6dc6fffb.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/81c79fad89.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3ce83bb01f.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d429342cf1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does "chucked" mean? That's designed to run at 7,100 rpm and 2.5 hp. You'll need some serious effort to make it show much of an output. A pull-string like on a lawnmower might do it.

Should work, though.

Chucked, as in mounted the spindle and turned it. A pull string? I don't quite follow.

Sorry, your picture is so big, some of your post got cut off - you used a power drill you say? I would think you could register some current (the amps), but without any load on it such as a resistor, you won't register any voltage.

Nice motor.

It is probably working OK if you can get 10 amps out of it as a generator.

Your multimeter requires you to move the red wire to the VOLT_OHM position to read voltage. Did you do this?

Have you tried to use it as a motor by attaching it to a 12 volt battery?

What is a DC motor and how does it work?

A DC (direct current) motor is an electrical machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) with an armature, which is a set of electromagnetic coils that produce a magnetic field. When an electric current is passed through the coils, it creates a force that rotates the rotor, generating mechanical power.

How can a DC motor be used as a generator for a wind turbine?

A DC motor can be used as a generator by reversing the direction of electrical flow. This is achieved by spinning the rotor of the motor, which will generate electricity through electromagnetic induction. This process is known as regenerative braking, where the kinetic energy of the spinning rotor is converted into electrical energy.

What are the advantages of using a DC motor as a generator for a wind turbine?

One advantage is that DC motors are simple and easy to understand, making them an ideal choice for DIY wind turbine projects. They are also widely available and relatively inexpensive compared to other types of generators. Additionally, DC motors have a high torque output, which is important for generating electricity at low wind speeds.

What are the limitations of using a DC motor as a generator for a wind turbine?

One limitation is that DC motors have a fixed voltage output, which means they are not suitable for use in grid-tied systems that require a stable and consistent voltage. Additionally, the efficiency of a DC motor as a generator is lower than that of a dedicated generator, which may result in lower electricity production.

How can the output of a DC motor as a generator be optimized in a wind turbine?

The output of a DC motor as a generator can be optimized by connecting multiple motors in series or parallel to increase the overall voltage and current output. The use of a rectifier can also help to convert the AC output of the motor to DC, which is more suitable for charging batteries or powering electronic devices. Additionally, using a wind turbine with a larger rotor diameter and efficient blades can increase the amount of mechanical energy available to the DC motor, resulting in a higher electricity output.