Two Reviews: God's Equation and Universe In A Nutshell

• Thread starter Entropy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, In A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking discusses the history of physics and cosmology, and The Universe in A Nutshell, Amir D. Aczel takes you on a journey through the development of Einstein's theory of relativity. Although both books are good, A Brief History of Time is better for the layman and The Universe in A Nutshell is better for the experienced physicist.
Entropy
Two Reviews: "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell"

I checked out two books from my library a few weeks ago and I'm done reading them: Amir D. Aczel's "God's Equation" and Stephen Hawking's "Universe In A Nutshell." I was really excited about reading my first book by Stephan Hawking, the great reviews and the fact that he is considered one of the greatest physicist of our time. The other book "God's Equation" I didn't even think I'd really get around to reading it. It looked good, but not amazing. Boy was I wrong about both of them! I was really disapointed in Hawking's book and I loved Aczel's book! Here are my offical reviews:

God's Equation by Amir D. Aczel

Education Level: May prove confusing for some laymen, a general understanding of cosmology is probably enough though.

Summary: Amir takes you through the development of Einstein's legendary theory of relativity and onward to modern cosmology. Written like a detective story from the point of view of the detective trying to solve the master equation of the universe. Einstein seems to be the center point, but its not all about him, credit is given to other great minds that helped create the marvious theory of relativity. Good outlines are given to Maxwell, Lorentz, Ricci-Curbastro and others, describing what they did, and why Einstein couldn't have discovered relativity without them. After you pass though Einstein's rein, you journey to current scientist and examine the expanding universe, grand unification and more. Then when you reach the end, the author brings you to today, where scientist continue to rely on Einstein's equations as the closest thing we have to one of "God's thoughts."

Comments: I definitely recommend this book for new comers in physics! And even if all this is old news to you, it a very fun book to read. Written like a dectective story of the universe.

Rating: 5/5 :biggrin:

Universe In A Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

Education Level: Layman

Summary: The first few chapters give you a basic history of physics and cosmology. These first few chapters are written well and great for the layman or even the experienced. From those chapters Hawking branchs off into a few other topics, unconnected to one another. To state this frankly, Hawking expresses some of his speculations on the future of mankind and the universe along with some other stuff. Overall this book doesn't really have an over all message or topic. Ignoring the first chapters, this is just some of Hawking random thoughts on our world.

Comments: I was really disapointed with this book. I thought I would walk away enlightened from the reviews I've heard about Hawking. True, Hawking does explain a lot of complex ideas into humorous, easy to understand way. But as for the actual content of the book he stumbles. I'd recomment it for the layman and some people might find some of Hawking's personal speculations interesting. But all I can just tell you I was very thrilled with them.

Rating: 3/5 :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
How does 'A Brief History of Time' compare to 'The Universe in A Nutshell'?

Don't know, haven't read A Brief History of Time, yet. It was checked out at my library.

Entropy said:
Universe In A Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

Education Level: Layman

Summary: The first few chapters give you a basic history of physics and cosmology. These first few chapters are written well and great for the layman or even the experienced. From those chapters Hawking branchs off into a few other topics, unconnected to one another. To state this frankly, Hawking expresses some of his speculations on the future of mankind and the universe along with some other stuff. Overall this book doesn't really have an over all message or topic. Ignoring the first chapters, this is just some of Hawking random thoughts on our world.

Comments: I was really disapointed with this book. I thought I would walk away enlightened from the reviews I've heard about Hawking. True, Hawking does explain a lot of complex ideas into humorous, easy to understand way. But as for the actual content of the book he stumbles. I'd recomment it for the layman and some people might find some of Hawking's personal speculations interesting. But all I can just tell you I was very thrilled with them.

Rating: 3/5 :frown:

This book, is the one that got me into theoretical physics!
:biggrin:

I agree with God's Equation.

Great writer.

You might also want to try Fermat's Last Theorem by Amir D. Aczel.

recon said:
How does 'A Brief History of Time' compare to 'The Universe in A Nutshell'?
Does anyone know whether its worth it for me to read it? I'm staring at the book right now. :grumpy:

I heard A Brief History of Time has a lot of mistakes.

Whatever may be wrong with it, BHOT was for me a great read. I didn't find Universe in a Nutshell to be one. But of course YMMD.

totally agree. Brief History was good, Nutshell not so much. Then again I didn't read Universe in a nutshell, I had the book on tape read by the author. Didn't understand a damn thing. could have been reading in swahili or ordering a pizza or explaining mysteries of the universe I'm not sure.

YMMD?
You're mumbling. Muscular Dystrophy?
lol, no that's too cruel
You're my mom's daddy?
Yikes! Mickey Mouse's dead?

tribdog said:
YMMD?
You're mumbling. Muscular Dystrophy?
lol, no that's too cruel
You're my mom's daddy?
Yikes! Mickey Mouse's dead?

Your MIleage May Differ. Try to keep up.

1. What is the main premise of "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell"?

The main premise of "God's Equation" is to explore the relationship between mathematics and the universe, specifically how mathematical equations can explain the origins and workings of the universe. "Universe In A Nutshell" focuses on the theory of everything, attempting to provide a comprehensive explanation of the universe and its fundamental laws.

2. Are these books suitable for non-scientists or those with little background in physics?

While the topics discussed in these books may be complex and require some understanding of physics, both "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell" are written in an accessible manner and do not require a deep understanding of mathematics or physics. Non-scientists can still gain valuable insights from these books.

3. What makes "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell" stand out from other books on similar topics?

Both books offer unique perspectives on the relationship between mathematics and the universe. "God's Equation" delves into the history and development of mathematical concepts and how they have shaped our understanding of the universe. "Universe In A Nutshell" presents a comprehensive overview of the current theories and debates in physics, providing a thought-provoking read for those interested in the subject.

4. Do these books address any controversial topics or ideas?

Yes, both "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell" touch on controversial topics and ideas, such as the concept of a multiverse and the role of a higher power in the creation and functioning of the universe. These topics are presented objectively and readers are encouraged to form their own opinions.

5. Can these books be considered reliable sources of information?

As with any scientific literature, it is important to consider the credibility and expertise of the authors. Both "God's Equation" and "Universe In A Nutshell" are written by highly respected physicists and are based on scientific research and theories. However, it is always recommended to consult multiple sources when seeking information on scientific topics.