What would be my boundary conditions? Heat Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the boundary conditions at the end of a rod with a length of 4, cross section of 1, and thermal conductivity of 1. The condition at the end where the rod is radiating heat energy is described as twice the difference between the temperature at that end and the surrounding air temperature of 23 degrees Celsius. The speaker suggests using the equation -u_x(4,t)=2(u(4,t)-23) as the first boundary condition and is unsure of what the second boundary condition should be. They propose a second condition of u(
punkstart
1. I have a rod of length 4,cross section 1 and thermal conductivity 1.Nothing is mentioned about the end at the origin x=0, but at the opposite end x=4, the rod is radiating heat energy at twice the difference between the temperature of that end and the air temperature of 23 celcius. Find the boundary conditions at this x=4 end of the rod to be used in the one dimensional heat equation.

2. Heat flows out of rod at -[tex]\lambda A u_{x}(a,t)[/tex]

3. with my substitutions i get -[tex]u_{x}(4,t)=2(u(4,t)-23)[/tex]
So that my first boundary condition is the above. But i think " they " want another boundary condition here at x=4,but what ? I was thinking something like [tex] u(4,t)=u(4,0)-tu_{t}(4,t)[/tex] in other words temperature now = initial temperature - time*rate of temperature loss. i am not very experienced with these problems,can someone please point me in the right direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
so based on the boundary condition the you can calculate the heat moving out teh end of the rod
[tex] Q = 2(u(4,t) - 23)) [/tex]

Assuming the heat flow is reasonably continuous which is a good assumption you should be able to relate the heat flow to the thermal gradient at the end of the rod [tex] u_x(4,t), using the thermal conductivity

1. What are boundary conditions in the context of the heat equation?

Boundary conditions in the heat equation refer to the constraints placed on the temperature or heat flow at the boundaries of a system. These conditions are important in solving the heat equation as they determine the behavior of the system at its edges.

2. How do I determine my boundary conditions for the heat equation?

The boundary conditions for the heat equation can be determined by considering the physical properties of the system and the behavior of heat at its boundaries. This may involve considering factors such as the material properties, external heat sources, and insulation at the boundaries.

3. What is the significance of boundary conditions in solving the heat equation?

Boundary conditions are crucial in solving the heat equation as they help determine the unique solution to the equation. Without appropriate boundary conditions, the system may have multiple solutions, making it impossible to accurately predict the behavior of heat in the system.

4. Can boundary conditions be changed during the solution of the heat equation?

No, boundary conditions must remain constant throughout the solution of the heat equation. Any changes to the boundary conditions may result in a different solution and may not accurately represent the behavior of heat in the system.

5. Are there different types of boundary conditions in the heat equation?

Yes, there are different types of boundary conditions in the heat equation, including Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and Robin boundary conditions. These conditions describe different constraints on the temperature or heat flow at the boundaries and are used depending on the specific problem being solved.