In wich engineering you use the most physics based on iq and aptitude?

In summary, the individual is interested in a career that involves a lot of physics, specifically in engineering. However, they have concerns about their IQ and whether it is high enough for a career in physics. They also live in a third world country, which may present challenges. The individual has expressed interest in quantum physics and building machines, robots, and spaceships. They have also mentioned enjoying topics such as Newton's Laws and Energy. They have considered aerospace engineering, but it is not available in their country. They are unsure about electrical engineering and are considering pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering. They have been advised to not worry about IQ and instead focus on hard work and finding a specific area of engineering that interests them, such as alternative energy.
AlexES16
I want a career in which i use a lot of physics, i was thinking in a career as a phycisit but i am afraid that my IQ,its like 110-120 and in the psychometric test i scored in the percentile 84%, so i don't know if you have to have a like a 140 iq or something, and i also live in a 3rd world country so it will be super hard as a physicist. But i love physics and i will like to know in which engineering you use the most physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain better what your question actually is? The more details the better.

AlexES16 said:
I want a career in which i use a lot of physics, i was thinking in a career as a phycisit but i am afraid that my IQ,its like 110-120 and in the psychometric test i scored in the percentile 84%, so i don't know if you have to have a like a 140 iq or something, and i also live in a 3rd world country so it will be super hard as a physicist. But i love physics and i will like to know in which engineering you use the most physics.

What areas of physics are you interested? Are you interested in international scholarships? Is your school system using IQs and other mental tests to evaluate your eligibility for schooling? Otherwise, you don't need to be obsessed with these scores.

Klockan3 said:
Can you explain better what your question actually is? The more details the better.

In which engineering you see more physics?
and
Is IQ really importnat at becoming a good scientist?

ranger said:
What areas of physics are you interested? Are you interested in international scholarships? Is your school system using IQs and other mental tests to evaluate your eligibility for schooling? Otherwise, you don't need to be obsessed with these scores.

Well i like to read a lot of quantum, but i really don't know the areas of physics.

AlexES16 said:
Well i like to read a lot of quantum, but i really don't know the areas of physics.

Quantum? What about quantum have you read? Have you read anything beyond space age novels? What is your background? Your question is very hard to answer because you are not giving direct answers or your responses are ambiguous. Why don't you tell us what your ideal engineering job would be like i.e. analog circuits, propulsion systems, etc. These all have lots physics in them...

And I've never taken an IQ test as a criteria for deciding to become an engineer nor was it a basis for my admissions to college. So like I said before, don't waste your time on these types of tests.

ranger said:
Quantum? What about quantum have you read? Have you read anything beyond space age novels? What is your background? Your question is very hard to answer because you are not giving direct answers or your responses are ambiguous. Why don't you tell us what your ideal engineering job would be like i.e. analog circuits, propulsion systems, etc. These all have lots physics in them...

And I've never taken an IQ test as a criteria for deciding to become an engineer nor was it a basis for my admissions to college. So like I said before, don't waste your time on these types of tests.

Hey =). Well i like sci-fiction, and i love machines, robots and spaceships, maybe my ideal career will be building this ones. And for reading quantum just some scietific divulgation programs and are very interesting, but the ideal career will be building machines, robots and spaceships. In school we only have seen Newton Laws,Work and Energy(I totally love this one), Electric Force.

AlexES16 said:
Hey =). Well i like sci-fiction, and i love machines, robots and spaceships, maybe my ideal career will be building this ones. And for reading quantum just some scietific divulgation programs and are very interesting, but the ideal career will be building machines, robots and spaceships. In school we only have seen Newton Laws,Work and Energy(I totally love this one), Electric Force.

Have you given any thought about aerospace engineering?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_engineering

AlexES16 said:

Sounds like MechE or AeroE would be the best for you then, aside from the robots thing. There's plenty of physics in those programs.

Also, if you are considering being an engineer, I would say creativity and ambition will end up being much more important than IQ. You don't have to be a genius to be an engineer.

What bout electrical engineering? a lot of math

nlsherrill said:
Sounds like MechE or AeroE would be the best for you then, aside from the robots thing. There's plenty of physics in those programs.

Also, if you are considering being an engineer, I would say creativity and ambition will end up being much more important than IQ. You don't have to be a genius to be an engineer.

Thanks men. Yeah maybe MechE is the way.

flyingpig said:
What bout electrical engineering? a lot of math

I think better MechE

Day in a life of a MechE?

Forget the IQ tests, they tend to be biased anyway (and against third world countries!)The most important thing is to *work hard*. There's a lot of work going on in alternative energy, so why not try that area? Solar engineering if your country has a lot of sun, wind turbines wind, etc... If you fancy this, and it involves mechanical and electrical, why not take a general engineering course and see how it pans out. Note, you don't have to be a genius for many areas of this work, but in some areas it helps - there's lots of room to find your own level...

You have the IQ to do any subject you desire.

mal4mac said:
Forget the IQ tests, they tend to be biased anyway (and against third world countries!)The most important thing is to *work hard*. There's a lot of work going on in alternative energy, so why not try that area? Solar engineering if your country has a lot of sun, wind turbines wind, etc... If you fancy this, and it involves mechanical and electrical, why not take a general engineering course and see how it pans out. Note, you don't have to be a genius for many areas of this work, but in some areas it helps - there's lots of room to find your own level...

Can you build tanks, wepaons as a mechanical engineer?

Are you planning on going to a school in America or where?

Codyt said:
Are you planning on going to a school in America or where?

Yeah ill get good grades in the universitie so i can emigrate as skilled labor.

1. What is the most common engineering field that heavily relies on physics?

The most common engineering field that heavily relies on physics is mechanical engineering. This field deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of physical systems and devices, making use of principles from mechanics, thermodynamics, and other branches of physics.

2. How does physics play a role in electrical engineering?

Physics is essential in electrical engineering as it provides the fundamental principles for understanding and designing electrical circuits, electromagnetic devices, and communication systems. Concepts such as Ohm's law, Maxwell's equations, and semiconductor physics are all based on principles of physics.

3. In what ways is physics used in civil engineering?

Civil engineering relies on physics in various ways, including the design and analysis of structures such as bridges, dams, and buildings. The principles of mechanics and materials science, which are based on physics, are used to ensure safe and efficient construction and operation of these structures.

4. How does physics factor into chemical engineering?

Physics is a crucial component of chemical engineering as it provides the understanding of the physical properties and behavior of different materials and substances. This knowledge is essential for designing and optimizing chemical processes and equipment used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials.

5. What is the importance of physics in aerospace engineering?

Physics is the foundation of aerospace engineering as it provides the principles for understanding the behavior of objects in flight and space. Concepts such as aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and orbital mechanics are all based on physics and are crucial for designing and operating aircraft, spacecraft, and satellites.