Is Apostol's Calculus enough preparation for advanced physics studies?

In summary, Jason is asking if Apostol's calculus is enough for him to read Griffiths' book on quantum mechanics, and if it is, whether or not having a math degree at a "precise" level is necessary.
Shing
Hi guys,
recently,
I am planning my college studies plan, majoring in Physics.

I would love to have a solid math background for my physics studies.
I am recently reading Apostol's calculus I.
And I found that actually Apostol's calculus I&II covers linear algebra and ODE,

so my question is:

1.) did Apostol do a good job at explaining LA & DE as well?
2.) Is Apostol's ODE in his Calculus II enough for me to read Griffiths's book on QM?

any other suggestions are welcomed =)

thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shing said:
Hi guys,
recently,
I am planning my college studies plan, majoring in Physics.

I would love to have a solid math background for my physics studies.
I am recently reading Apostol's calculus I.
And I found that actually Apostol's calculus I&II covers linear algebra and ODE,

so my question is:

1.) did Apostol do a good job at explaining LA & DE as well?
2.) Is Apostol's ODE in his Calculus II enough for me to read Griffiths's book on QM?

any other suggestions are welcomed =)

thanks for reading!

Apostol is an excellent text and does a very good job in explaining Linear Algebra. His exposition on Multivariable calculus will be more than enough to tackle Griffiths. You won't ever need to use concepts such as the 'winding number' any time soon. Go for it!

Thanks for replying, anirudh =)

I agree.

The coverage of linear algebra in Calculus II by Apostol is extremely good for physics, especially quantum mechanics. Likewise, the coverage of ODEs, multivariable and vector calculus is more than enough for undergrad physics. Griffiths's QM should certainly be doable with this background; most folks who take a class from that book likely have inferior backgrounds. The only piece that Apostol doesn't really cover that could be helpful for QM is Fourier series and boundary value problems, but Griffiths will teach you the main things you need to know about that anyway - it won't be bad with the Apostol background.

good luck,

jason

Thanks!

Besides, I would like to ask that how about Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai? What math I will need for it?

And I would also want to ask
that Apostol's Analysis
I don't understand why Caltech's grad school requires that applcants have to be at the level of it, is it not totally unnecessary to have math at that precise level?

What is the main focus of Apostol's book for Physics?

The main focus of Apostol's book for Physics is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the fundamental principles and concepts of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is primarily undergraduate students majoring in physics or engineering, but it can also be useful for graduate students and researchers in related fields.

Does this book cover advanced topics in physics?

Yes, Apostol's book for Physics covers advanced topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics in addition to the fundamental principles of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

What sets Apostol's book apart from other textbooks on physics?

Apostol's book is known for its clear and concise writing style, its emphasis on mathematical rigor, and its numerous challenging problem sets that encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended for readers to fully understand the concepts presented in this book. However, the book does provide a brief review of these topics in the beginning chapters.