Gravitation lab for online simulation-equation derivation help?

In summary, the conversation discusses a gravitation lab for online simulation and focuses on deriving an equation for the period of an object in a circular orbit. The lab provides a simulation where the user can change the number of bodies and their properties, and the equation derived from Q6 is used to find the value of G, the universal gravitational constant. The conversation also mentions using the equation for centripetal acceleration and circumference of a circle to derive the period equation, and the individual is stuck on how to link velocity and position with period. They suggest setting t2 / x2r = 4pi2 / T2 and solving for T as a possible direction to go in.
therest
gravitation lab for online simulation--equation derivation help?

Homework Statement

To start with, you can access the lab here: http://phet.colorado.edu/teacher_ideas/view-contribution.php?contribution_id=690" .
I'm having trouble with the "Activity 4" part. It reads:
"Change the number of bodies to 3. Notice that the position and velocity for Body 1 and Body 2 changed when you clicked by the 3. Change them back, then set Body 3’s mass to 0.001, its x position to 100, its y velocity to your value from Q7, and its y position and x velocity to 0. Using your equation from Q6, the fact that speed is the distance over time, and the equation for the circumference of a circle, derive an equation for the period of an object in a circular orbit. Show all of your work below."
You can ignore all the stuff about changing bodies' masses and etc., unless you want to check out the simulation http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/my-solar-system/my-solar-system.swf" . I'm more worried about the deriving the equation part of it.

Homework Equations

The equation from Q6 that it mentioned was derived by me like so (the point was to find what value the sim was using for G, universal gravitational constant): G=v2r / m
centripetal a= 4pi2r / T2=v2/r
Fnet = ma
Circumference=2 *pi* r
v=x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start here! My attempt at a solution was putting the alternate equation for centripetal acceleration with period included in the section above--that truly is the extent of my thinking about it before I hit a brick wall. I don't know how to link velocity and position with period, as well. I'd like a verification that my previous derivation was correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Okay, further attempts at a solution:

Circumference=2*pi*r
acentrip. =4pi2r / T2 = (circ)2 / T2

or maybe ac = v2 / r = (x2/t2) / r = t2 / x2r

How do I work G=v2r / M into it and make a comprehensive equation out of the whole thing? Any ideas?

EDIT: maybe if I set t2 / x2r = 4pi2 / T2 and solve for T? would this be a useful direction to go in? Maybe then I can make substitutions.

1. How does the online simulation for gravitation work?

The online simulation for gravitation uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity. It takes into account factors such as mass, distance, and gravitational constant to accurately depict the motion of objects.

2. Can the online simulation help with deriving equations for gravitation?

Yes, the online simulation can assist with deriving equations for gravitation by allowing users to input different values and observe the resulting motion. This can help in understanding the relationship between variables and how they affect the overall behavior of the system.

3. Is the online simulation accurate in depicting real-life scenarios?

The online simulation uses well-established mathematical equations and principles to accurately depict the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity. However, it is important to note that there may be limitations in the simulation depending on the complexity of the scenario being simulated.

4. Can the online simulation be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the online simulation can be a valuable tool for educational purposes. It allows users to visually understand the concepts of gravitation and can be used in conjunction with theoretical lessons to enhance learning.

5. How can the online simulation be accessed?

The online simulation can be accessed through a web browser on a computer or mobile device. Some simulations may require specific software or plugins, but most can be accessed directly through a web browser.