Back to physics after 15 years

In summary: No. A master course is usually on track to a master's DEGREE, which you absolutely need a bachelor's degree first. If you want to do physics as a career, eventually there will come a point where night school and self-studying will not cut it. I repeat; a degree is absolutely necessary for a career in physics. Period. If you're studying it for fun, that's a different story, but you need to keep in mind that this is a punishing choice sometimes.Hm, in my country it's absolutely possible to do a masters with a bachelor in a completely different area (e.g. you have a bachelor in physics and decide to switch to biology). All you need to do is to
plankoman
Best regards to all of you,

I am 30 and some years old.I finished general high school-gymnasium in my country about 15 years ago.I used to love physics at ordinary and high school time.I competed in physics with decent results.When I was 19 I were in the wrong direction(enrolling in some faculty not-related to physics) observing from this viewpoint and later quite that faculty.In the meantime I've almost forgot of physics as I had to do some other things.

I've been thinking for a while if it is possible to get back to what I really enjoy learning and studying .Of course it does for sure according to my optimistic mind.My biggest dilemma is how to do it?! To go in which direction?! Am I too old to began such a journey?! Which path would you suggest me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

(this page was written by a Nobel prize winner, and I've found it very useful. Notice the part where he says:

What if you are older, and you are not at all looking forward to join those noisy crowds of young students ? )

When you study Physics, passion and dedication mean a lot more than inteligence or age.

pdidy said:
your never too old...unless you want to go into math and win a fields medal, in that case you still have 10 years.

Anyway this isn't physics but read this from math overflow
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/7120/too-old-for-advanced-mathematics

Acut said:
Check:
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

(this page was written by a Nobel prize winner, and I've found it very useful. Notice the part where he says:

What if you are older, and you are not at all looking forward to join those noisy crowds of young students ? )

When you study Physics, passion and dedication mean a lot more than inteligence or age.

Thank you for encouraging words.I found that page written by a Nobel prize winner very useful and valuable too.I can hardly imagine to join noisy crowds of young student.This may be a little disturbing to me knowing myself.But fortunately that page is exactly addressed also to people who may have a problem to deal with the beginning the study at later age.

A problem still exists at my view.Mr Gerard 't Hooft,a Nobel prize winner says:"Eventually, whether you like it or not, you will have to obtain some University degree, if you wish a self-supporting career in theoretical Physics. One possibility is to follow a Master course such as the one offered by our University. I don't know about your qualifications, but I suspect that, with enough determination, you may be able to comply."

After all,that's the point;One have to obtain some University degree.And again how to do that avoiding the regular study at university if is possible.I know that the regular study is the best solution.Beside not willing to study with 15 years younger students at the same class(you'll understand I think) I need to make a living and have no time to go to the faculty every day 6 hours a day or so.

Mr Gerard 't Hooft suggest,as mentioned above, a Master course offered by the university where he lectures.Is someone familiar with that Master course?May one attend the course with the high school degree and which calling can get after finishing it successfully?The other options are welcomed also.

I just skimmed this thread so forgive the short response but...

Mr Gerard 't Hooft suggest,as mentioned above, a Master course offered by the university where he lectures.Is someone familiar with that Master course?May one attend the course with the high school degree and which calling can get after finishing it successfully?The other options are welcomed also.

No. A master course is usually on track to a master's DEGREE, which you absolutely need a bachelor's degree first. If you want to do physics as a career, eventually there will come a point where night school and self-studying will not cut it. I repeat; a degree is absolutely necessary for a career in physics. Period. If you're studying it for fun, that's a different story, but you need to keep in mind that this is a punishing choice sometimes.

Hm, in my country it's absolutely possible to do a masters with a bachelor in a completely different area (e.g. you have a bachelor in physics and decide to switch to biology). All you need to do is to do an examination, confirming you have knowledge comparable to a bachelor in the area of your masters, and an interview. Some universities require recomendation letters too.

You may also try distance learning.

Check if any of these apply to your country.

1. What has changed in the field of physics in the past 15 years?

In the past 15 years, there have been numerous advancements and discoveries in the field of physics. For example, the confirmation of the Higgs boson particle, the development of quantum computers, and the detection of gravitational waves are just a few of the major breakthroughs that have occurred.

2. How has technology affected the way we study and understand physics?

Technology has greatly impacted the field of physics in the past 15 years. The development of advanced instruments and equipment, such as particle accelerators and telescopes, have allowed scientists to gather more accurate data and make more precise calculations. Additionally, the use of computer simulations has greatly aided in understanding complex theories and phenomena.

3. Is it difficult to catch up on 15 years of advancements in physics?

While it may seem daunting to catch up on 15 years of developments in physics, it is certainly possible. It may require some extra effort and dedication, but with the abundance of resources available online and in scientific literature, it is definitely achievable.

4. What skills or knowledge do I need to brush up on before returning to the field of physics?

Depending on the specific area of physics you are interested in, you may need to brush up on certain mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Familiarizing yourself with current theories and research in your desired field would also be beneficial.

5. Are there any new career opportunities in physics that have emerged in the past 15 years?

Yes, there have been new career opportunities in physics that have emerged in the past 15 years. With the rise of technology and its application in physics, there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in fields such as computational physics, data science, and quantum computing.