Boundary Conditions for 1D heat flow in Wire with source

In summary, to set up this 1D wire problem with an insulated boundary at one end and a heat source at the other, you will need to use a Dirichlet boundary condition at x = 0 and a Neumann boundary condition at x = L. This will allow you to solve for the temperature distribution in the wire using the heat law equation.
phil ess
I'm trying to understand how to set up the problem of a 1D wire that is insulated at one end and has a heat source at the other. I know the heat law, from my textbook:

du/dt = B d2u/dx2 + q(x,t) 0 < x < L, t > 0

Where q(x,t) is the source of heat.

The problem is, I want the heat source to be only at one end of the bar, but every example I find of this kind of problem has a heat source that is a function of x, which I don't understand, since the heat generated should be 0 for all x except x = 0, and I don't know how to deal with that.

Also, what do I do for the insulated boundary on the other side? I want the heat to continue to build without escaping.

This is so frustrating! Any help is greatly appreciated!

ps. The actual problem I am trying to solve is to find the pressure P(x,t) in a 1D finite reservoir, with a constant source of water at one end, but as far as I can tell, this problem is analogous, and I figured more people would be familiar with the heat equation example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!The solution to this problem is to use a Dirichlet boundary condition at x = 0, which states that u(0,t) = q(0,t), where q(x,t) is the heat source. This will ensure that the heat source is only present at the end of the bar. At x = L, you can use a Neumann boundary condition which states that du/dx = 0. This will ensure that there is no heat transfer across the boundary, thus preventing any heat from escaping.

What is the purpose of boundary conditions in 1D heat flow?

The purpose of boundary conditions in 1D heat flow is to define the behavior of the heat flow at the edges of the system. These conditions allow us to accurately model and predict how heat will transfer through the wire with a source.

What are the types of boundary conditions for 1D heat flow?

The two types of boundary conditions for 1D heat flow are Dirichlet boundary conditions and Neumann boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the temperature at the boundary, while Neumann boundary conditions specify the heat flux at the boundary.

How do boundary conditions affect the temperature profile in a wire with a source?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the temperature profile in a wire with a source. They can significantly impact the rate of heat transfer and the distribution of temperature within the system. A change in boundary conditions can result in a different temperature profile.

Can boundary conditions be changed during the simulation?

In most cases, boundary conditions cannot be changed during a simulation. However, some computational methods allow for adaptive boundary conditions that can be altered based on the evolving temperature profile of the system. This can provide more accurate and realistic results.

How do you choose appropriate boundary conditions for a 1D heat flow simulation?

The choice of appropriate boundary conditions depends on the specific scenario and the behavior of the system being modeled. It is essential to consider the physical properties of the material, the source of heat, and the desired outcome when selecting boundary conditions. In some cases, a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions may be necessary to accurately represent the behavior of the system.