Taking full course load with labs -NEED GUIDANCE

In summary: I think it's important to note that each person's experience and capabilities are different, so what may be doable for one person may not be for another person. It's important to prioritize and manage time effectively in order to succeed in a challenging course load. In summary, the individual is planning to major in chemistry and double minor in physics and math. They have registered for a full course load consisting of five courses, each with a lab component. These courses cover material they have never heard of and include organic, analytical, and physical chemistry, modern physics, and calc 3. They are questioning whether this course load is doable and seeking advice from others who have been through a similar experience. The response suggests that labs can vary and advisors
kooombaya
Hi everyone, I'm planning to major in chemistry double minoring in physics and math. Next year I'm registered for a full course load (5 courses) each comes with a lab 3 hours long (except one which is 2hrs). These are all second year courses and they cover material I've never heard of. The courses are organic, analytical, and physical chemistry, modern physics, and calc 3. My question is is this doable? I know I'll have to work hard but have you been through the same experience and do you have any advice? Or will my grades suffer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus has a lab?

Labs vary enormously from university to university and course to course. I think this is a case where your advisor is a valuable resource.

Last edited:
I think it depends on you as a student. Do you have a job? Do you procrastinate or do you get all your work done soon? Do you sometimes feel confused even after putting in way more effort than you feel others do or do you catch on a little faster than other people? Are you an A student or are you ok with scoring Cs?

If you answered the less stressful route on many of these questions, you should be fine.

You described the exact courseload of a second-year chemistry major in Canada, plus the modern physics. So if you're already a pretty good student, just think of it as taking one extra course. Shouldn't be too bad.

I took 20 credit hours last semester, took care of a child, and I work 40 hours a week. If I can do it then I'm sure you can.

kooombaya said:
Hi everyone, I'm planning to major in chemistry double minoring in physics and math. Next year I'm registered for a full course load (5 courses) each comes with a lab 3 hours long (except one which is 2hrs). These are all second year courses and they cover material I've never heard of. The courses are organic, analytical, and physical chemistry, modern physics, and calc 3. My question is is this doable? I know I'll have to work hard but have you been through the same experience and do you have any advice? Or will my grades suffer?

Physical chemistry with organic, physics and analytical? Are you in the U.S.? Those courses are usually pre-reqs for physical chemistry. If you have no job or any serious obligations and don't care too much if a grade or two have the possibility of slipping, then go for it.

pr0blumz said:
I took 20 credit hours last semester, took care of a child, and I work 40 hours a week. If I can do it then I'm sure you can.

Thanks!
and yes I am in Canada.

I'm an EE major, and I took 4 electronics courses with labs on top of Calc II this term. Sometimes the lab reports pile up. I have a 2 year old and work part-time as well. The best advice I can give is constantly try to get ahead of the homework. It will be a challenge depending on whatever else is going on in your life but as long as you don't slip into that group of people who turn things in late you'll be fine.

pr0blumz said:

How in the **** is that possible? - pardon my asterisks. lol.

Shackleford said:
How in the **** is that possible? - pardon my asterisks. lol.

I'm enrolled at a local Community College. English Comp. II, Chem. II w/Lab, Physics II w/Lab, Cal. I & II, and Sociology.

pr0blumz said:
I'm enrolled at a local Community College. English Comp. II, Chem. II w/Lab, Physics II w/Lab, Cal. I & II, and Sociology.

Well, there's no way I could ever do anything like that.

wait so are you first year or second?

and.. modern physics? so early?

What does "taking full course load with labs" mean?

It means enrolling in a set number of courses and their corresponding laboratory sections for a particular semester or term. This typically includes attending lectures and completing laboratory experiments for each course.

Why is it important to take a full course load with labs?

Taking a full course load with labs allows students to stay on track with their academic progress and complete their degree requirements in a timely manner. It also provides a well-rounded education by combining theoretical knowledge with hands-on practical experience.

How many courses should I take with labs in a semester?

The number of courses with labs that a student should take in a semester depends on their individual schedule and academic goals. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the appropriate course load for each semester.

What are some tips for managing a full course load with labs?

Some tips for managing a full course load with labs include staying organized, prioritizing tasks, and utilizing resources such as study groups and office hours. It is also important to maintain a healthy balance between academics and other responsibilities to avoid burnout.

Can I drop a course with a lab if I am struggling?

It is generally possible to drop a course with a lab, however, it is important to consult with an academic advisor and consider the potential consequences, such as a delay in graduation or financial aid implications. It is also important to seek assistance and support from professors and tutors before making the decision to drop a course.