Rotational Mechanics and Torque With Relation to planes?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the connection between torque, rotational mechanics, and planes. The speaker already has some knowledge about how torque helps planes turn and spin, but is seeking further information on the role of torque in planes. They also request a brief explanation of rotational mechanics, which is described as the rotational equivalent of force equals mass times acceleration.
YodaSan2

Homework Statement

For my physics class we need to research on internet how torque and rotational mechanics has to do with planes. I already know a little about torque. I know that torque helps planes turn and spin (pivot). Is there anything else torque has to do with planes? Also, could I have an brief idea about rotational mechanics. I already looked it up, I found great sites about it, but no in relation to planes. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Homework Equations

Non applicable

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked up the answer, but got nothing in relation to planes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi YodaSan2! Welcome you are to PF! :smile:
YodaSan2 said:
For my physics class we need to research on internet how torque and rotational mechanics has to do with planes. I already know a little about torque. I know that torque helps planes turn and spin (pivot). Is there anything else torque has to do with planes? Also, could I have an brief idea about rotational mechanics. I already looked it up, I found great sites about it, but no in relation to planes. …

I can't guess what your teacher is thinking about … rotation and torques are concerned with axes, not planes. :confused:

Anyway, rotational mechanics is basically about τ = Iα (torque = moment of inertia times angular acceleration), the rotational equivalent of F = ma (force = mass times linear acceleration). :smile:

1. What is rotational mechanics and how does it relate to planes?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects around a fixed axis. It involves the study of rotational motion, angular velocity, and torque. In the context of planes, rotational mechanics is important in understanding how the plane rotates along its axis and how torque is applied to maintain stability during flight.

2. What is torque and how does it affect planes?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of planes, torque is produced by the engines and propellers, and it is necessary to overcome the resistance of air and maintain the plane's stability. Without proper torque, the plane may experience uncontrolled rotation or loss of stability.

3. How does the center of mass affect rotational mechanics in planes?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is concentrated. In planes, the location of the center of mass affects the plane's stability and rotation. A plane with a lower center of mass will be more stable and require less torque to maintain its position, while a plane with a higher center of mass may be more prone to tipping or losing stability.

4. What are the different types of forces involved in rotational mechanics for planes?

The main forces involved in rotational mechanics for planes are lift, weight, drag, and thrust. Lift is the force that helps the plane stay in the air, weight is the force of gravity pulling the plane down, drag is the resistance caused by air, and thrust is the force produced by the engines to overcome drag and maintain motion.

5. How does understanding rotational mechanics help in designing and operating planes?

Understanding rotational mechanics is essential in designing and operating planes because it allows engineers and pilots to predict and control the plane's movement and stability. By understanding how torque, center of mass, and other forces affect the plane, they can make necessary adjustments to ensure safe and efficient flight.