Mechanical engineer and physicist?

In summary, the individual is 17 years old and interested in a career that involves physics. They are considering pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering, but also have an interest in pursuing physics in the future. They are unsure if it is too late to become good at math and physics at the age of 17. Others have suggested double majoring in physics and mechanical engineering, and it is noted that it is harder to go from engineering to physics in graduate school. The individual also mentions their country of El Salvador and the lack of opportunities for careers in aerospace. They are considering emigrating for better opportunities. Provided is a link to a university in El Salvador that offers a degree in mechanical engineering and a licenciature in physics.
AlexES16
Well i would to have a career that have a lot of physics and that one is mechanical engineerng.
But i also want to se some day quantum mechanics or something like that, but i don't go in the career of physicist becouse of the low job oportunities, especially here in my country. So it viable to be a mechanical engineer and at the same time or after finishing the engineering go in physics?. Also is to late to become really good at math and physics at the age of 17?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexES16 said:
Well i would to have a career that have a lot of physics and that one is mechanical engineerng.
But i also want to se some day quantum mechanics or something like that, but i don't go in the career of physicist becouse of the low job oportunities, especially here in my country. So it viable to be a mechanical engineer and at the same time or after finishing the engineering go in physics?. Also is to late to become really good at math and physics at the age of 17?

Dude your only 17? I'm 21 and am about to start Calc 1, and there's plenty of people here who are much older than me who are going back to school for physics/engineering. Don't worry about age, your still young and at a good age to decide what you'd like to try.

You could double major in physics and ME? If you did this of course you would be very busy for about 5 years. By knowing your age and the questions you have asked on the forum, its clear that you haven't started college yet, but you are at least interested in a general area. You will know if you want to do physics or ME after a year or so in school, and after that amount of time the classes you would have taken for those majors won't be THAT different.

If your leaning towards ME, go to school and take the first year courses, which will probably be physics courses too, and then you will have a much better idea of what you want to do.

Lastly, its usually harder for people to go from engineering in undergrad, to physics in grad school. This is simply because physics covers more topics and has more breadth. But it IS possible. I know a physics phd student now who graduated with a B.S. in Aerospace and told me he took some of the physics major courses as a non-degree student before applying to grad school.

nlsherrill said:
Dude your only 17? I'm 21 and am about to start Calc 1, and there's plenty of people here who are much older than me who are going back to school for physics/engineering. Don't worry about age, your still young and at a good age to decide what you'd like to try.

You could double major in physics and ME? If you did this of course you would be very busy for about 5 years. By knowing your age and the questions you have asked on the forum, its clear that you haven't started college yet, but you are at least interested in a general area. You will know if you want to do physics or ME after a year or so in school, and after that amount of time the classes you would have taken for those majors won't be THAT different.

If your leaning towards ME, go to school and take the first year courses, which will probably be physics courses too, and then you will have a much better idea of what you want to do.

Lastly, its usually harder for people to go from engineering in undergrad, to physics in grad school. This is simply because physics covers more topics and has more breadth. But it IS possible. I know a physics phd student now who graduated with a B.S. in Aerospace and told me he took some of the physics major courses as a non-degree student before applying to grad school.

Thanks a lot for your answer men. I will start puting great effort in my studies today. i need to improve my math skills(i had a examn today and i kinda got it bad). Science for ever!

Dude, do what you want, (btw what country is it, sometimes helps us to know), I'm only 18 and I was undecided for a long time, but I finally gave into physics. I mean 17 is still really young, start studying math and physics for fun do contest questions, olympiad etc. Doesn't matter what you get or how you do, its just for fun! By the way ever considered aerospace? If you get into rocket propulsion there's tons of physics (something I'm considering to do). Go double major mech and physics I know lots of people who do :D

iratern said:
Dude, do what you want, (btw what country is it, sometimes helps us to know), I'm only 18 and I was undecided for a long time, but I finally gave into physics. I mean 17 is still really young, start studying math and physics for fun do contest questions, olympiad etc. Doesn't matter what you get or how you do, its just for fun! By the way ever considered aerospace? If you get into rocket propulsion there's tons of physics (something I'm considering to do). Go double major mech and physics I know lots of people who do :D

Hello thanks for the answer. I live in El Salvador and the only university that have the career of physics is the national universitie, it has a licenciature and a master degree in physics. Here is almost no industry, less thinking in aerospace, maybe if i get good grades at universitie, and as you say, start doing math and physics for the real fun, i could be able to emigrate as skilled labor?.

1. What is the difference between a mechanical engineer and a physicist?

A mechanical engineer applies principles of physics and materials science to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems. A physicist studies the properties of matter and energy and how they interact with each other in the natural world. While both fields involve the application of physics, a mechanical engineer focuses on practical applications and product design, while a physicist focuses on theoretical research.

2. What skills are needed to become a successful mechanical engineer or physicist?

Both mechanical engineers and physicists need a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Mechanical engineers also need knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and hands-on experience with tools and machines. Physicists need strong analytical and research skills and the ability to think abstractly.

3. Can a person be both a mechanical engineer and a physicist?

Yes, it is possible for a person to have knowledge and skills in both fields. Many mechanical engineers have a background in physics and use their understanding of physics principles in their work. Similarly, physicists may work in fields such as material science or engineering, utilizing their knowledge of physics in practical applications.

4. What career opportunities are available for mechanical engineers and physicists?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and construction. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and project management. Physicists can work in industries such as healthcare, energy, telecommunications, and defense. They can also work in research and development, academia, and government.

5. What are the current challenges and advancements in the fields of mechanical engineering and physics?

One of the current challenges in mechanical engineering is designing sustainable and environmentally-friendly products and systems. Advancements in technology, such as 3D printing and artificial intelligence, are also shaping the field. In physics, current challenges include understanding dark matter and dark energy, as well as developing quantum technologies. Advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and renewable energy are also significant areas of research in physics.