Thinking about being a physics major

In summary, the author is considering whether or not to concentrate in physics or engineering as an undergraduate. If the author decides not to concentrate on either field, they would then go to graduate school. The author is leaning towards learning everything about physics and chemistry before continuing their studies in engineering. If the author pursued a b.s. in chemistry but decided to switch to engineering, they could get a masters or PhD in engineering with a minor in chemistry. The author also mentioned that they may be interested in astronautical engineering. If the author joined the Princeton review site, they could see a sample undergraduate curriculum in engineering.
Null_
I recently got the idea of being a physics major. I was accepted for chemical engineering, but I'm not sure I want to concentrate on that just yet. I will be entering college in the fall.

I really love studying physics, even though I've never had an actual class on it. I read physics books in my free time (mostly without math, due to my level). I really like astronomy too...I would honestly enjoy my studies.

I chose engineering because I like math, physics, and chemistry a lot. It seemed like a great fit. But now I'm thinking that maybe I should just have fun in undergrad and be a physics or chemistry major and then go to grad school for engineering if I feel so compelled.

Thus, I'm wondering...is it better to study physics or engineering as an undergrad if I (as of right now) want to go into the field of engineering. If I decide I don't enjoy it as much as I thought, which would have the best back-up plan? (Probably still would go to grad school...maybe business, medical, or dental...)

I feel like this is the best time to get my studies straight, because I really don't want to change majors 5XX times if I can help it...

Also, any suggestions relating to either field would be welcomed :) .

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also considered getting a major in physics and a minor in chemical engineering. Is this at all marketable? Say I wanted to work in industry for a year or so before grad school, could this combination land me a job? And since I've considered this combination, I've naturally considered the opposite as well, but I'm really leaning toward learning why things work completely, then in the continuation of my studies learning how things work and making them work.

Might I also add, I may be interested in astronautical engineering. A b.s. in physics could get me into this as a masters or phD program, right? What about if I had a b.s. in chemE but decided I wanted to switch to astro?

Well, if you join the Princeton review site, they let you see sample undergraduate curricula and descriptions of majors.

http://www.princetonreview.com/Majors.aspx?cip=400508&page=1"
Chemical Physics Undergraduate Curriculum said:
Inorganic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Laser Physics
Vector Calculus
Modern Physics and Mechanics
Atoms, Molecules, Spectroscopy
Materials Chemistry
Kinetics and Thermodynamics
Quantum Chemistry and Physics
Solid State Physics

http://www.princetonreview.com/Majors.aspx?cip=140701&page=1"
Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Curriculum said:
Organic Chemistry
Physical Chemistry
Differential Equations
Physics
Engineering Graphics
Engineering Mechanics
Transport Phenomena
Thermodynamics
Reaction Kinetics
Chemical Reaction Engineering
Heat and Mass Transfer
Design and Analysis of Processing Systems
Internship

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a physics major and other science majors?

A physics major focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the laws that govern the physical world. Other science majors, such as biology or chemistry, may have a more specific focus on living organisms or chemical reactions.

2. What skills are necessary for success in a physics major?

Strong analytical and mathematical skills are essential for a physics major. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are also important. Additionally, having a strong curiosity and passion for understanding how the universe works can greatly contribute to success in this field.

3. What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors can pursue a wide range of career paths, including research and development, engineering, education, and data analysis. Many also go on to graduate school to further specialize in a particular area of physics.

4. Is a physics major a good choice for someone who wants to go into a non-science field?

While a physics major may seem like a specialized degree, it actually provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis that can be applied to a variety of industries. Many employers value these skills and a physics major can open doors to diverse career opportunities.

5. How can I prepare for a physics major in high school?

Taking advanced mathematics and science courses in high school, such as calculus and physics, can help prepare for a physics major. It is also important to develop strong study habits and time management skills to be successful in college-level physics courses.