Really bad at Math, but really interested in Physics

• Thread starter Xelb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, despite excellent performance in Chemistry, you might struggle in Physics if you do not improve your math skills. However, with enough effort and determination, you can overcome any obstacle.
Xelb
Hi there. Just for clarification, I am a Junior in High School getting ready to wrap up this year. As such, we have all had to make our schedules for next year at my school and I'm actually looking forward to my senior year. I am aware that this board is meant for people who are in college or grad school, but I couldn't find a board that is meant for High School students. Anyway, I'm signed up to take IB Physics SL next year, which is a one year college course in Physics offered in my school. I did well enough in Chemistry that I got permission from the science department chair to take it and skip the regular level physics offered at my school. Of course, I was pretty happy when I found out, but I am worried about one thing. I'm extremely bad at Math. My average in Math is around 82, and I fear that I will not do well this quarter.

This isn't calculus based physics, but still I am worried that I will not do well because of my somewhat "poor" performance in my math. Is it a good idea to soldier on into IB Physics despite excellent performance in Chemistry and somewhat poor performance in Math? It just never came easy to me, almost to the point where I think I have dyscalculia...but that's a different story. I do like the sciences...a lot, but I don't think I have the necessary "aptitude" to grasp all of the different concepts and problems in an IB Physics curricula.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are bad at Mathematics, you say? Good. Now that you pinpointed your problem take the necessary steps to solve it. Learning Mathematics, like any other subject, is about practice and understanding. There is no magic behind it.

"despite excellent performance in Chemistry" does not make sense; you did well in Chemistry so you will perform poorly in Physics? Sense no make. The sciences are interconnected; you do well in one branch, you may perform satisfactorily in another. Take the Physics class and enjoy it. All you need is effort and determination (harder to get than "natural aptitude").

There is now way you can be good at physics but bad at math. You're weak in math, so what? Work on getting better! And then you can tackle physics.

Btw 82 is not a bad average, you'll be fine. Physics is understanding the problem. Once you understand where you're at and where you need to be the rest is easy plugging of the formulas.

Hello Xelb,

First and foremost, your math score is good. I don't know where you got the notion that an 82 in Math is bad. I'm sure you'll do fine in a physics class as long as you posess that willingness to study hard, and progress further in your mathematics. Indeed, Math can be difficult, but it is important not to give up despite the circumstances surrounding your inability to comprehend all of it. Perhaps you should take the time to study some math during the summer if you really feel you don't understand the fundamentals of mathematics needed to understand physics.

First of all, I want to commend you for your interest in physics and for taking on a challenging course like IB Physics SL in your senior year. It's great to see young students like you already thinking about their future and taking steps to pursue their interests. Don't let your struggles in math discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics. While math is an important component of physics, it is not the only factor that determines your success in the subject. It's important to remember that math is a skill that can be improved with practice and determination.

If you are worried about your math skills, I would recommend seeking extra help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide you with additional resources and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding and skills in math. It's also important to have a positive attitude and not give up easily. Remember that making mistakes and struggling with a subject is a natural part of the learning process.

In terms of your concerns about IB Physics being too difficult for you, I would encourage you to have confidence in yourself and your abilities. You have already demonstrated your aptitude for science by excelling in chemistry and obtaining permission to skip regular level physics. This shows that you have the potential to do well in IB Physics as well. It's important to have a growth mindset and believe that you can learn and improve in any subject with hard work and dedication.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help and support from your teacher, classmates, and other resources. Physics can be a challenging subject, but it can also be very rewarding and exciting. With your interest and determination, I have no doubt that you can succeed in IB Physics and achieve your goals. Good luck in your senior year and in your future studies in physics!

1. Why is it important to be good at math in physics?

Math is the language of physics. It allows us to describe and understand complex physical phenomena in a precise and quantitative manner. Without a strong foundation in math, it would be difficult to fully grasp the concepts and theories in physics.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I'm not good at math?

While having a strong mathematical background is beneficial, it is not a requirement for pursuing a career in physics. With hard work and determination, it is possible to improve your math skills and succeed in physics. Additionally, there are many areas of physics that do not require advanced math, such as experimental and applied physics.

3. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on math problems, the better you will become at solving them. It's also helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to supplement your learning. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teachers or peers if you are struggling with a particular concept.

4. Are there any tips for understanding math in physics?

One helpful tip is to visualize the math concepts in a physical context. This can help make the abstract concepts more tangible and easier to understand. It's also important to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand something right away, keep practicing and seeking out resources.

5. Is it possible to be naturally good at physics but struggle with math?

Absolutely! Some people may have a natural aptitude for understanding and applying physics concepts, but struggle with the mathematical side. This is not uncommon and with hard work and determination, it is possible to improve your math skills and excel in physics. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way, so don't compare yourself to others.