Overcoming Lack of Confidence in Math Skills

• Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person's lack of confidence in their math skills despite doing well in a College Algebra course. They attribute their low retention rate to the class structure and difficulty applying the learning to other subjects. They seek advice on how to improve their skills and resources to help them prepare for Trigonometry and Calculus.
Whalstib
Lack Of Confidence...

Hi,
I just finished a College Algebra course. I did well for the most part getting high 80's and even a 100% on one of 4 exams! But when all is said and done I don't have much confidence in my skills.

I worked hard and have right here over 500 pages of homework! I did twice as much as was called for for much of the course as it took me that much to grasp what was going on.

I haven't received my final grade but am sure it will be a B at best.

I seemed to not retain as much as I feel I should have.

I trying to convince myself that part of the problem was the class itself. Great instructor but it was at jr. college and had a general to business focus with fewer examples based on hard science applications. I had trouble trying to apply the learning to my chemistry classes for instance.

This was the end of a one year run and I need to get through calculus for my geology major. I actually really like math when I get it which was often but like I said my retention rate was low.

Did any of you experience this sort of phenomena? Did any of you go on to excel at mathematics after initially struggling the first year?

Thanks,

Warren

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Walstib,

I do not struggle with math, but I've helped people who have struggled with it over the years. I haven't had math for years and am re-teaching some subjects to myself before calculus and it made me feel like a total moron...BUT when I consider that I am going through what would normally be four classes in a span of 4 weeks, I feel a bit better. You probably might want to review Algebra again for yourself...just you and your textbook. I would also recommend taking some trigonometry and precalc before jumping into calculus. I always think of science and math as different aspects of each other...and math is really just a bunch of steps and connections although they try to kill you with the names of the rules, properties and steps etc.

My precalc teacher was horrible, but I'm happy she was because it taught me to not depend on the instructors to teach me, but to learn from the text and use as many resources that are available to me...internet, etc. I would recommend you try the same and see if it works for you. Be present in class and gather what you can, be sure to ask questions on things you do not understand, and enjoy yourself!

I <3 Geology by the way! All the best to you!

Thanks!

I will be enrolling in Trigonometry this fall. Any advice on some good resources to get my feet wet or what aspects of algebra I should go back and master?

Thanks again,

Warren

Nathaniel Max Rock has some books based on the standard for Algebra I and II. If you look for them in Google books they are there in entirety and entirely free His books are normally easy to follow and although he is a bit full of himself sometimes, the answers he gives for some of the exercises are inaccurate...the only reason I recommend him is the errors are few and far between and he covers what is required by most institutions. Plus you can always get something out of free textbooks :biggrin: (even if it's only a good laugh :tongue2:). On Google books his books are called 'Standards Driven Power Algebra I and II'...this is what I used to help me study...plus I found a lot of other things for free by searching, like cliffs notes, quick study guides, other textbooks, etc. I have not had Calculus yet either, so I do not know what is helpful for it, but I've taken Algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry and Precalculus.

But you know Warren, sometimes you may think you forget things because you try to remember them without application, but when you have to apply them you're amazed at how you've internalized things. I am sure you'll be surprised at yourself when you review it.

Again best wishes.

Hello Warren,

First of all, congratulations on completing your College Algebra course and doing well on your exams! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve those grades, so you should be proud of yourself. I understand that you may not feel confident in your math skills right now, but I want to assure you that this is a common feeling among many students, especially in the field of mathematics.

One thing to keep in mind is that math is a subject that requires continuous practice and review. Just like any other skill, if you don't use it, you may lose it. So it's important to continue practicing and reviewing concepts even after you have completed a course. This will help you retain the information and build your confidence in your math skills.

I also want to address your concern about the class itself. It's true that different instructors and courses may have a different focus and approach to teaching math. However, it's important to remember that the fundamental concepts and principles remain the same. So even if your class had a more general or business focus, the concepts you learned can still be applied to other fields, such as chemistry for your geology major.

Lastly, I want to share with you that many successful mathematicians and scientists have also struggled with math at some point in their academic journey. What sets them apart is their determination to keep learning and improving. So don't be discouraged by any initial struggles you may have had. With dedication and persistence, you can excel at mathematics and achieve your academic goals.

I hope this response has provided some reassurance and encouragement for you. Keep up the hard work and don't be afraid to seek help or resources if you need it. Best of luck in your future math courses!

Sincerely,
A fellow scientist

What causes lack of confidence in math skills?

There are a variety of reasons that can contribute to someone lacking confidence in their math skills. Some common factors include past negative experiences with math, a lack of understanding or mastery of basic math concepts, comparison to others who seem to excel in math, and a fear of failure or making mistakes.

How can one improve their confidence in math?

Improving confidence in math involves a combination of strategies such as identifying and addressing any foundational gaps in understanding, practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and reframing negative thoughts about math. It is also important to set realistic goals and celebrate small successes along the way.

Is it possible to overcome a lifelong fear of math?

Yes, it is possible to overcome a lifelong fear of math. It may take time, patience, and consistent effort, but with the right approach and support, anyone can improve their math skills and gain confidence in their abilities. It is important to address the root causes of the fear and work on building a positive mindset towards math.

What are some practical tips for overcoming lack of confidence in math?

Some practical tips for overcoming lack of confidence in math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, practicing regularly, using visual aids or manipulatives to aid understanding, seeking out resources and support from teachers or tutors, and reframing negative thoughts about math into positive ones.

Why is having confidence in math important?

Having confidence in math is important because it allows individuals to approach math problems with a positive mindset and a belief in their abilities. This can lead to improved performance, a willingness to take risks and try new strategies, and ultimately, a deeper understanding and appreciation for math.