Any good Calculus III books that comes with explanations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing while using Stewart's textbook for Calculus III. They express frustration with the lack of even-numbered solutions and their professor's teaching style. They also mention trying the book Mathematical Methods by Wiley, but finding it lacking in exercises. The conversation then shifts to a discussion of different textbooks for Calculus III, including Thomas' Calculus and Calculus by Edwards and Penney. The speaker wishes the listener good luck in finding a suitable textbook.
bignum
I am using Stewart's textbook right now and it is horrible. I really wonder how my other classmates get their work done, I feel like I have more trouble than them. Weird thing is, most of them don't even pay attention in class.

Anyways, are there any books that give Calc III exercises and give step by step solutions? Stewart's book and solution manual doesn't give even number solutions for some reason (what a rip off $60). My prof is like terrible explaining stuff, so I am kinda screwed.

I also have tried Mathematical Methods by Wiley, but they don't have enough exercises

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Calculus III?
(ie, is there a specific syllabus?)

Oh sorry, Multivariable Calculus

Syllabus includes Vectors and Geometry, Vector Valued functions, Multivariable calculus, multiple integrals.

bignum said:
Oh sorry, Multivariable Calculus

Syllabus includes Vectors and Geometry, Vector Valued functions, Multivariable calculus, multiple integrals.

My university uses Thomas' Calculus w/ Early Trancendentals for all three physics courses. I've only taken Calc I with the book and it helped me greatly; I'm taking Calc II this semester with the book. A new edition (12/e) was just released, but I haven't looked at its content. Calculus 6/e by Edwards and Penney is pretty rigorous from what I've read. The recent mathwonk praised the textbooks from Edwards and Penney (maybe because they teach in the same department).

Good luck finding a book that suits your needs!

I have come across many textbooks and resources for Calculus III. I understand your frustration with Stewart's textbook and the lack of explanations in the solution manual. In my experience, one of the best books for Calculus III is "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart. This book provides clear explanations and a wide range of exercises with step-by-step solutions. It also includes a companion website with additional resources and practice problems.

Another great option is "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton. This book covers all the topics in Calculus III and provides detailed explanations and examples. It also has a variety of exercises with solutions available online.

If you prefer a more visual approach, I would recommend "Calculus III for Dummies" by Mark Zegarelli. This book breaks down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations and includes plenty of practice problems with detailed solutions.

In addition to these textbooks, I also suggest utilizing online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare for additional practice and explanations. And don't forget, your classmates may have different learning styles and may not be struggling as much as you think. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professor or classmates for help and clarification. With the right resources and determination, I am confident you will excel in Calculus III.

1. What is Calculus III?

Calculus III is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of multivariable functions, vectors, and three-dimensional space. It builds upon the concepts of Calculus I and II, but introduces new topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. What makes a good Calculus III book?

A good Calculus III book should have clear explanations of concepts, a variety of practice problems with solutions, and real-world applications. It should also be well-organized and have a logical progression of topics.

3. Are there any specific books that come recommended for learning Calculus III?

Some popular and highly recommended Calculus III books are "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.

4. Do these books come with explanations for the concepts?

Yes, all of the recommended Calculus III books come with detailed explanations for the concepts. They also include examples and diagrams to help illustrate the concepts and make them easier to understand.

5. Can I find these books in electronic format?

Yes, all of the recommended Calculus III books are available in electronic format, such as PDF or e-book versions. This allows for easy access and portability, making it convenient for studying on-the-go.