Coulomb Gauge, Lorentz Invariance & Photon Polarization in Field Theory

In summary: There isn't a time component in the sense that we ordinarily think of it. In Coulomb gauge, the space components of the polarization vector are orthogonal, so the dot product with the 4-momentum must be zero.
RedX
In electrodynamics, the Coulomb gauge is specified by [tex]\nabla \cdot A=0 [/tex], i.e., the 3-divergence of the 3-vector potential is zero.

This condition is not Lorentz invariant, so my first question is how can something that is not Lorentz invariant be allowed in the laws of physics?

My second question concerns the photon polarization vector of a photon of 3-momentum k. Is this polarization vector a 3-vector or a 4-vector? If it's a 4-vector, what is the time component of the vector? The only condition seems to be that the 3-momentum k is perpendicular to the space-components of the polarization vector.

My last question is this. Suppose your photon has 3-momentum k entirely in the z-direction, and in your frame of reference the 4-vector polarization e=(0,1,0,0), i.e., entirely in the x-direction. If you Lorentz boost your frame in the x-direction, then this 4-vector will receive some time component, say e'=(sqrt(2),sqrt(3),0,0). So when calculating a scattering amplitude, how do we know what the time component of our photon polarization vector is?

In field theory, if the photon polarization vector has a non-zero time component, then the time component of the source, J0, plays an important role. However, J0 is associated with the scalar potential [tex]\phi [/tex] (they are conjugate variables). Does the scalar potential and charge density really matter in field theory, or is just the 3-vector potential and 3-current important?

Physics news on Phys.org
RedX said:
This condition is not Lorentz invariant, so my first question is how can something that is not Lorentz invariant be allowed in the laws of physics?

Well, the Schrödinger equation isn't Lorenz-invariant either, but we certainly use it a lot!

It's allowed because if the relative velocities of the interacting particles is small, the speed of light is "infinite" to a good approximation. The corrections for a retarded potential (AKA the Breit interaction, in an atomic system) are typically fairly small.

RedX said:
In electrodynamics, the Coulomb gauge is specified by [tex]\nabla \cdot A=0 [/tex], i.e., the 3-divergence of the 3-vector potential is zero. This condition is not Lorentz invariant, so my first question is how can something that is not Lorentz invariant be allowed in the laws of physics?
The physics is gauge invariant (that is, independent of the choice of gauge condition), so it's OK to choose a non-Lorentz-invariant gauge condition.

RedX said:
My second question concerns the photon polarization vector of a photon of 3-momentum k. Is this polarization vector a 3-vector or a 4-vector? If it's a 4-vector, what is the time component of the vector? The only condition seems to be that the 3-momentum k is perpendicular to the space-components of the polarization vector.
The polarization is a 4-vector, and its dot product with the 4-momentum must be zero. In Coulomb gauge, the space components are orthogonal as well. So, in Coulomb gauge (but not in other gauges, in general) the time component of the polarization 4-vector is zero.

RedX said:
My last question is this. Suppose your photon has 3-momentum k entirely in the z-direction, and in your frame of reference the 4-vector polarization e=(0,1,0,0), i.e., entirely in the x-direction. If you Lorentz boost your frame in the x-direction, then this 4-vector will receive some time component, say e'=(sqrt(2),sqrt(3),0,0). So when calculating a scattering amplitude, how do we know what the time component of our photon polarization vector is?
If we start in a non-Lorentz-invariant gauge, then boosting takes us out of that gauge. So if you're going to specify Coulomb gauge (in which time components of polarization vectors are zero), then you're not allowed to boost.

RedX said:
Does the scalar potential and charge density really matter in field theory, or is just the 3-vector potential and 3-current important?
They absolutely matter. In Coulomb gauge, you get an explicit Coulomb interaction among pieces of the the charge density at different places.

thanks all, that made sense.

Avodyne said:
If we start in a non-Lorentz-invariant gauge, then boosting takes us out of that gauge. So if you're going to specify Coulomb gauge (in which time components of polarization vectors are zero), then you're not allowed to boost.

If you experimentally prepare a photon, don't you always have to prepare it in the Coulomb gauge?

That probably didn't make sense, since gauge is not physical. But what I mean is if you know a photon has a certain wavelength and direction and polarization, then where's the time component?

1. What is the Coulomb gauge in field theory?

The Coulomb gauge is a mathematical condition used in the study of electromagnetic fields. It states that the divergence of the vector potential must be equal to zero. This condition simplifies the equations used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is Lorentz invariance in field theory?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in field theory that states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at constant velocities. This means that the equations describing the behavior of particles and fields should have the same form regardless of the reference frame in which they are observed.

3. How does Lorentz invariance relate to special relativity?

Lorentz invariance is closely related to special relativity, which is the theory of how objects behave at high speeds. Special relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same for all inertial observers, and this is essentially what Lorentz invariance means in the context of field theory.

4. What is photon polarization in field theory?

In field theory, photons are described as oscillating electromagnetic waves. Polarization refers to the direction in which the electric and magnetic fields of these waves oscillate. A photon can have two possible polarizations: perpendicular to its direction of motion (transverse polarization) or along its direction of motion (longitudinal polarization).

5. How is photon polarization related to the quantum nature of light?

The quantum nature of light is described by the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED). In this theory, the polarization of a photon is related to its spin, which is a fundamental quantum property of particles. The two possible polarizations of a photon correspond to its two possible spin states, and this is a crucial aspect of understanding the behavior of light at the quantum level.