3rd order derivatives in the lagrangian

In summary: In the case of the Lagrangian, this may involve redefining the commutation relations between its various derivatives."
RedX
I heard that in classical field theory, terms in the Lagrangian cannot have more than two derivatives acting on them. Why is this?

In quantum field theory, I read somewhere that having more than two derivatives on a term in the Lagrangian leads to a violation of Poincare invariance. Is this true?

One thing I derived is that, for a scalar field, if you accept the canonical commutation relations as true:

[tex]
[\phi(x,t),\Pi(y,t)]=i\delta^3(x-y)
[/tex]

then unless your canonical momentum [tex]\Pi(x,t) [/tex] is equal to [tex]\dot{\phi}(x,t) [/tex], then the commutation relations of the Fourier components of [tex]\phi(x,t) [/tex] no longer obey equations like:

[tex]
[a(k,t),a^\dagger(q,t)]=\delta^3(k-q)
[/tex]

or using a different normalization scheme:

[tex]
[a(k,t),a^\dagger(q,t)]=\delta^3(k-q)(2\pi)^32E_k
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
P.17 of Zee states this is because 'we don't know how to quantize actions with more than two time derivatives'. Why this is mathematically I do not know though (and was wondering the same thing myself...).

I found this in a book by some guy named Pierre Ramond, "Field Theory a Modern Primer".

"Third we demand that S [the action] leads to classical equations of motions that involve no higher than 2nd-order derivatives. Classical systems described by higher order differential equations will typically develop non-casual solutions. A well-known example is the Lorentz-Dirac equation of electrodynamics. It is a 3rd-order differential equation that incorporates the effects of radiation reaction and shows non-casual effects such as preacceleration of particles yet to be hit by radiation."

But this bugs me. I thought as long as your Lagrangian density is Lorentz-invariant, then the equations of motion will be Lorentz-invariant. So how can an equation that is Lorentz-invariant be non-causal?

The 2nd derivatives are actually first derivatives --- just integrated by parts. It is easier to consider non-field theory, but just a single particle. The Lagrangian is a function of position and velocity, and a "third derivative" would actually be a dependence on the 2nd derivative. Then see: http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~gz218/2010/01/higher-derivative-theories.html

In general, higher derivative theories require some exceptional fine-tuning to make sense.

1. What are 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian?

3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian refer to the third derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to time. This is used in the Euler-Lagrange equation to describe the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics.

2. How are 3rd order derivatives used in physics?

In physics, 3rd order derivatives are used to describe the acceleration of a system in classical mechanics. They are also important in the study of potential energy surfaces and in quantum field theory.

3. What is the significance of 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian?

The 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian are significant because they provide a way to describe the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics. They also play a role in determining the stability of a system and can reveal important information about the behavior of a physical system.

4. Can 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian be negative?

Yes, 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian can be negative. This is because they represent the rate of change of acceleration, which can be negative if the system is experiencing deceleration.

5. How are 3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian calculated?

3rd order derivatives in the Lagrangian are typically calculated using the Euler-Lagrange equation, which involves taking the third derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to time. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the system.