Looking for help (High school student)

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on their interest in physics and engineering. They are currently taking challenging courses in both subjects and are torn between which career path to pursue. They are looking for guidance on where to start and if their current courses and ACT score are sufficient for a good education and college.
Heinsteinberg
Hi
New user in these forums, but I have visited these pages before.
I am a high school student (junior) just looking for help/advice in terms of what i want to do in the future.
I am really interested in Physics/math. I have a passion for learning and giving myself a challenge. Currently enrolled in regular physics, calculus A and the recommended/necessary courses. As of right now I have Calculus BC, Physics C and a whole bunch of AP classes lined up for next year. (cannot wait). I am taking these courses just to challenge myself and see where I land.
Now to get to the point. I am really interested in being a Physicist or an Engineer. Though, I am torn between the two. I guess it's because of the lack of knowledge I know of the two fields and what people do in them.
So, for starters where should I start? Are the courses I am taking good enough?
I also took my ACT, got a 29, though not pleased. I think I can do better :). Is this score good enough to obtain a good education ( i mean a good college)?
Sorry for the lack of precision in terms of interest, just want to know whether I am thinking along the right lines.
Any help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to see a high school student with such a strong interest in physics and math. These are incredibly important and exciting fields to explore and there are many opportunities for you in both physics and engineering.

Firstly, the courses you are taking are definitely a good start. It's important to have a strong foundation in math and physics, and it seems like you are on the right track with Calculus BC and Physics C. These courses will give you a good understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts in these fields.

In terms of deciding between a career in physics or engineering, it's important to understand the differences between the two. Physics is the study of the natural world and how it works, while engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems. Both fields require strong math and analytical skills, but they have different focuses and career paths. It might be helpful for you to do some research and talk to professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of what each entails and which aligns more with your interests and goals.

As for your ACT score, a 29 is a good score and can definitely help you get into a good college. However, it's always a good idea to aim for improvement and strive for the best score you can achieve. Keep studying and practicing, and you may be able to raise your score even higher.

In conclusion, keep challenging yourself and exploring your interests in physics and math. Do some research and talk to professionals to gain a better understanding of the fields and which one aligns more with your interests and goals. And don't worry too much about your ACT score, it's just one aspect of your college application and there are many other factors that colleges consider. Best of luck to you in your academic and career pursuits!

What is the best way to ask for help as a high school student?

The best way to ask for help as a high school student is to be specific about what you need help with. This will allow others to better understand your issue and provide more effective assistance. Additionally, it is important to ask for help from a trusted source, such as a teacher or tutor, who can offer reliable support.

How can I overcome the fear of asking for help?

One way to overcome the fear of asking for help is to remind yourself that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It takes courage to admit when you need assistance and it shows that you are taking responsibility for your education. You can also start by asking for help from a close friend or family member before approaching a teacher or tutor.

What are some effective strategies for finding help in high school?

Some effective strategies for finding help in high school include attending after-school study sessions, reaching out to teachers or tutors for one-on-one help, joining a study group with classmates, and utilizing online resources such as educational websites or forums. It is also helpful to communicate openly with your teachers about your academic needs and seeking their guidance on where to find additional help.

How can I make the most out of seeking help as a high school student?

To make the most out of seeking help as a high school student, it is important to actively listen to the advice and guidance given by those who are helping you. Take notes and ask questions to ensure you understand the concepts being taught. It is also helpful to practice what you have learned and ask for feedback to track your progress.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with the help I am receiving as a high school student?

If you are not satisfied with the help you are receiving as a high school student, it is important to communicate your concerns with the person providing assistance. Be respectful and explain why you are not satisfied, and ask for clarification or alternative methods of help. If necessary, you can also seek help from other sources, such as a different teacher or tutor, to find a better fit for your learning style.