Any good book to review abstract algebra?

In summary, Dummit and Foote is a good reference for Abstract Algebra, but a book with a more advanced perspective would be better for review. Knapp's Basic Algebra might be a good choice for review.
PieceOfPi
Hi,

I am a junior and a math major, and I am almost done with my year-long abstract algebra sequence for undergraduates. While I found the materials interesting, I feel like I got lost at some places in this course, and I would like to review (or in some topics, relearn) the materials that I covered in this course over this summer. The textbook we used in this course was Abstract Algebra by Beachy/Blair, and topics we covered in this class include basics of groups, rings, fields, more on groups (including Sylow's theorem, solvable groups, etc.), and Galois Theory. I was wondering if there is another book that I might want to check out from the library to read over the summer to understand the materials better. I would also like to focus on becoming a better "problem solver," as I feel like this is a skill that I need to improve ASAP, so I am looking for a book with good exercises and/or interesting examples as well.

Let me know if you have any suggestion. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dummit and Foote is a superb reference for Abstract Algebra. Additionally, Ian Stewart's Galois Theory is a great read.

Depends on what you mean by review. Dummit and Foote is ok, but is probably a bit longwinded if you already know all the stuff. In your position, I would prefer a book which takes a somewhat different, advanced perspective, to place the things you know in context and look at the bigger picture. Now, Lang's Algebra may be a bit too much (i.e. little review, lots of new stuff), but one of my favorites which fills this purpose perfectly is Knapp's Basic Algebra.

Sounds good. I will be checking out Dummit/Foote from the library soon. Somehow, my library system didn't have Knapp's Basic Algebra at convenient location, but I will try and get that too (Knapp's sounds interesting, as it seems to use a lot of linear algebra in his discussion). I'll take a look at Stewart too.

Thanks! And any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Dear junior math major,

It's great to hear that you are interested in reviewing and improving your understanding of abstract algebra over the summer. I highly recommend "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote. This book covers all the topics you mentioned in your course, and it has a reputation for being a comprehensive and rigorous text on the subject. It also includes challenging exercises and interesting examples to help develop your problem-solving skills.

Another highly recommended book is "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter. This book is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a great choice for self-study. It also has a wide range of exercises and examples to aid in your understanding of the material.

I also suggest checking out "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi. This book takes a more abstract approach to the subject, which may be beneficial for your understanding of the underlying concepts. It also has numerous exercises and examples to help develop problem-solving skills.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a good book to review abstract algebra. Best of luck in your studies!

Sincerely,

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures, rather than specific numerical values.

2. What are the benefits of studying abstract algebra?

Studying abstract algebra can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and abstract reasoning abilities. It also provides a foundation for higher-level mathematics and has applications in various fields, such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

3. Can you recommend any good books for reviewing abstract algebra?

Some popular books for reviewing abstract algebra include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Algebra" by Michael Artin, and "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh. It is best to choose a book that suits your level of understanding and learning style.

4. What topics are typically covered in a book on abstract algebra?

A book on abstract algebra usually covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. It may also include topics such as Galois theory, representation theory, or algebraic geometry.

5. How can I make the most out of reviewing a book on abstract algebra?

To get the most out of reviewing a book on abstract algebra, it is essential to actively engage with the material. This can include solving practice problems, discussing concepts with others, and applying the concepts to real-world problems. It is also helpful to review regularly and seek clarification on any difficult topics.