Radial distribution function - weird result

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a weird result in the radial distribution function (RDF) calculation for a colloidal crystal configuration. The system consists of a cubic box with a length of "boxLength_" and "nParticle_" colloids inside. The positions of the particles are used as inputs to calculate the RDF. However, the resulting curve does not oscillate around 1 as expected, but instead decreases for large r. The conversation also mentions troubleshooting steps and a bug found in the code.
jhsu
Radial distribution function -- weird result

Dear all,

I think I'm having trouble with my radial distribution function (RDF) calculation and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight.

I was testing my RDF calculation subroutine to get RDF for certain colloidal crystal configuration (FCC or random distribution). The system I have is a cubic box with length "boxLength_" in the following code. "nParticle_" of colloid are put in the box. Position coordinates of each particle are recorded so I can use "boxLength_", "nParticle_" and positions "x_", "y_" and "z_" as inputs to calculate RDF.
However the first few result I got look like this:
[PLAIN]http://www.pitt.edu/~jeh114/gr_N512_5000steps_cubicStart_sideL800.gif
The trouble I felt is that at large r the function doesn't oscillate around 1 as all the literature and textbook show, but some lower value. (Here the curve ends at r = L/2, L the boxLength.)
That could be either my RDF algorithm or my Monte-Carlo algorithm to get the positions. So I tried just randomly spilling all the particles in the box and see what would my RDF be (I expected it to be a constant 1, for all r. Am I right?) and it looks like:
[PLAIN]http://www.pitt.edu/~jeh114/gr_random.gif
(again 0 < r < L/2)
And it's around 1 for small r but still decreases for large r. I looked and tested over and over again with my RDF subroutine and couldn't find the bug. I'm attaching it as follows (basically following Frenkel and Smit). Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you very much!

Code:
int RDF::initialize(double length, double diameter, int nPart ) 
{
	boxLength_ = length; cout << "boxLength = " << boxLength_ << endl;
	diameter_ = diameter;
	delr_ = (boxLength_ / 2.) / 300.;
	nParticle_ = nPart;
	rho0_ = nParticle_ / pow( boxLength_ ,3);
	return 0;
}

int RDF::get_Position( vector<double> x, vector<double> y, vector<double> z )
{
	x_ = x; y_ = y; z_ = z;
	return 0;
}

int RDF::get_gr(int swicz)
{
	switch (swicz){
		case 0 : // Initialization
			cout << "RDF initialization." << endl;
			ngr_ = 0;
			nhis_ = NINT ((boxLength_ / 2.) / delr_); cout << "# of bins: " << nhis_ << endl;
			for(int i=0; i<=nhis_; i++)
				g_.push_back(0.);
			break;

case 1 : // Sampling (collecting data through many passing).
			ngr_ = ngr_ + 1; cout << "RDF " << ngr_ << "th sampling." << endl;
			for( int i = 0; i < nParticle_ - 1; i++){
				for( int j = i + 1; j < nParticle_ ; j++){
					double xr =  x_.at(i) - x_.at(j); double yr = y_.at(i) - y_.at(j); double zr =  z_.at(i) - z_.at(j);
					xr = xr - boxLength_ * NINT ( xr / boxLength_ ); // PBC
					yr = yr - boxLength_ * NINT ( yr / boxLength_ );
					zr = zr - boxLength_ * NINT ( zr / boxLength_ );
					double r = sqrt( xr*xr + yr*yr + zr*zr );
					if( r < (boxLength_ / 2.) ){
						int ig = INT (r / delr_); 
						g_.at(ig) += 2.;
					} // if r
					//else cout << "Outside!" << endl;
				} // for j
			} // for i
			break;

case 2 : // Calculating g(r)
			cout << "RDF calculating." << endl;
			for (int i = 0; i < nhis_; i++){
				double r = delr_ * (i + 0.5);
				double nid = 4. * pi * (r * r) * delr_ * rho0_;
				g_.at(i) /= (ngr_ * nParticle_ * nid );
			}
			break;
		default : 
			cout << "TROUBLE: gr switch not set appropriately!" << endl;
	}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry I figured it out where the bug was. My NINT function was not working properly for negative numbers, making the distribution dies off 1. Sorry for your time.

1. What is a radial distribution function?

A radial distribution function (RDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain distance from another particle in a system. It is commonly used in molecular dynamics simulations to analyze the spatial arrangement of particles.

2. What is considered a "weird" result for a radial distribution function?

A "weird" result for a radial distribution function is one that deviates significantly from the expected behavior or does not follow the typical trends seen in other systems. This could indicate a problem with the simulation or an unusual behavior of the particles in the system.

3. What could cause a weird result in a radial distribution function?

There are several factors that could contribute to a weird result in a radial distribution function. These include errors in the simulation, unusual interactions between particles, or a non-equilibrium system. It is important to carefully analyze the system and simulation parameters to identify the cause of the weird result.

4. How can a weird result in a radial distribution function be resolved?

If a weird result is identified in the radial distribution function, it is important to first check for any errors in the simulation or system setup. If no obvious errors are found, further analysis can be done to understand the cause of the weird result. This may involve adjusting simulation parameters or performing additional simulations to compare results.

5. Is a weird result in a radial distribution function always a problem?

Not necessarily. In some cases, a weird result in a radial distribution function may indicate a unique or interesting behavior of the system that is worth studying further. However, it is important to thoroughly analyze the results and understand the underlying cause before drawing any conclusions.