Better Description: Improve Conversion & Occupancy Rate

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around correctly describing changes in statistics, specifically in terms of conversion rates and occupancy rates. The best way to describe these changes is by using percentage points rather than percentages.
musicgold
Hi,

Sometimes I get confused about the right way to describe a phenomenon. Consider the following examples.

Example 1: I have a 1% conversion rate on 100,000 visitors, i.e I get 1,000 customers for every 100,000 visitors. I change something and I get it up to 2% on the next 100,000 visitors, i.e. 2,000 customers.

Which is a better description?
1. I doubled my conversion rate or
2. I increased my conversion rate by 1%

Example 2. A hotel has 300 rooms. On day 1, they had 70% (or 210) rooms occupied and on day 2 they had 90% (or 270) rooms occupied. Which is a better description?
3. Occupancy increased by 29% (from 210 to 270)
4. Occupancy increased by 20% from 70% to 90%

Thanks,

MG.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Hi,

Sometimes I get confused about the right way to describe a phenomenon. Consider the following examples.

Example 1: I have a 1% conversion rate on 100,000 visitors, i.e I get 1,000 customers for every 100,000 visitors. I change something and I get it up to 2% on the next 100,000 visitors, i.e. 2,000 customers.

Which is a better description?
1. I doubled my conversion rate or
2. I increased my conversion rate by 1%
The first one is fine; the second one is not. The conversion rate did NOT increase by 1%. It increased by 100% going from 1% to 2%. However, you could say that the conversion rate increased by one percentage point.
musicgold said:
Example 2. A hotel has 300 rooms. On day 1, they had 70% (or 210) rooms occupied and on day 2 they had 90% (or 270) rooms occupied. Which is a better description?
3. Occupancy increased by 29% (from 210 to 270)
4. Occupancy increased by 20% from 70% to 90%
The first one is OK (the increase is actually a little less than 29%); the second one is not. You could say that the occupancy rate increased by 20 percentage points, but this is different from a 20% increase.
musicgold said:
Thanks,

MG.

Thanks Mark 44.

1. How does improving the description of a product or service help increase conversion and occupancy rate?

By providing a better description, potential customers are able to understand the value and benefits of the product or service, which can lead to a higher likelihood of making a purchase or booking. This can ultimately result in an increase in conversion and occupancy rate.

2. What are some key elements to include in a description to improve conversion and occupancy rate?

Some key elements to include are clear and concise language, highlighting unique features and benefits, using high-quality visuals, and providing social proof such as customer reviews and ratings.

3. Is it necessary to constantly update and improve the description of a product or service?

Yes, it is important to regularly review and update the description to keep it relevant and appealing to potential customers. This can also help to attract new customers and retain existing ones.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help in creating a better description?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can assist in creating a better description, such as conducting market research, using A/B testing to determine the most effective language and visuals, and utilizing SEO strategies to improve visibility.

5. Can improving the description alone significantly impact conversion and occupancy rate?

While a well-crafted description can certainly have a positive impact, it is important to also consider other factors such as pricing, customer service, and overall user experience. A combination of these elements can lead to a more successful conversion and occupancy rate.