Plotting Data in Mathematica | Pareto & Frequency Plots

In summary, the user has imported a list of data and attempted to create a ParetoPlot, but the plot appears empty. They have loaded the Statistic Plot Package and are wondering if the issue is with their data. They also inquire about displaying a frequency plot for intervals of numbers in Mathematica. The conversation then suggests checking the imported data and reviewing the documentation for ParetoPlot. It is also suggested to try using Histogram instead.
SrEstroncio
I have imported a list of data of this kind
4.447E-02
1.620E-02
1.281E-02
2.585E-02
3.676E-02
1.232E-01
7.635E-02
1.756E-02
1.142E-02
3.676E-02
and it goes on, 2000-ish numbers. I try to do a ParetoPlot and all I get is an empty plot. I have loaded the Statistic Plot Package. Is it because of my data? And, how can I display a frequency plot for intervals of numbers (example, if I have 1.1 and 1.2 they're considered in the 1.0 - 2.0 category) in Mathematica? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First: Suppose you have your imported data in myList.
Post the output of Short[myList] so we can tell if the data has been mangled.

Next: From the ParetoPlot documentation:
"In the most basic form, ParetoPlot takes a list of data that is assumed to consist of discrete categories. It determines the frequency of each category in the list, converts the frequencies to percentages, and creates the plot."

Since it appears you have 4 digit Real numbers I'm assuming Pareto is considering every unique 4 digit Real as a separate category and the plot might have 2000 categories, each with a single number, maybe one or a few that happened to have a duplicate. But this assumes you have not given ParetoPlot any category information.

Post your ParetoPlot[...] so it is possible to tell what you have done.

Next: When some function doesn't work with a bunch of data it is often helpful to try a simple test case. Try the example from the Help page ParetoPlot[{a,b,c,d,d,d,e,d,e,e,f,a,b,c}] and see if you get the same result as the Help page.

Last: Histogram might be more what you are looking for unless you want to give ParetoPlot the needed options to adjust what it does.

What is a Pareto Plot in Mathematica?

A Pareto Plot is a type of chart in Mathematica that displays the relative frequency or cumulative frequency of data in descending order. It is useful for identifying the most significant factors or categories within a dataset.

How do I create a Pareto Plot in Mathematica?

To create a Pareto Plot in Mathematica, you can use the ParetoChart function in the built-in StatisticalPlots package. This function takes in a dataset and automatically calculates the relative frequency and cumulative frequency, and plots them in descending order.

What is a Frequency Plot in Mathematica?

A Frequency Plot, also known as a Histogram, is a visual representation of the distribution of data in a dataset. It displays the number of data points falling within each bin or category, allowing you to see the shape and spread of the data.

How do I create a Frequency Plot in Mathematica?

To create a Frequency Plot in Mathematica, you can use the Histogram function in the built-in StatisticalPlots package. This function takes in a dataset and automatically calculates the appropriate bin sizes and plots the data in a bar chart format.

Can I combine a Pareto Plot and a Frequency Plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can combine a Pareto Plot and a Frequency Plot in Mathematica by using the ParetoHistogram function in the StatisticalPlots package. This function creates a dual-axis chart, with the Pareto Plot on the primary axis and the Frequency Plot on the secondary axis, allowing you to compare the relative frequency and distribution of data simultaneously.