A Challenge Problem in Techniques Of Problem Solving

In summary, the formula for the sum of consecutive perfect squares starting from 1 to k is (2k^3 + 3k^2 + k)/6. This can be found by using the method of telescoping and manipulating the right hand side of the equation (k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2 + 3k + 1. Another way to find the sum is by using the formula S = (n(n+1)(2n+1))/6.
AK2
I just need a hint to solve the problem. The method used is illustrated in the example problem as follows:

Assume that k is a positive integer . What is the sum of integers
S = 1+2+3+...+(k-1)+k?

Solution:

22 - 12 = 3 = 2 * 1 + 1
32 - 22 = 5 = 2 * 2 + 1
42 - 32 = 7 = 2 * 3 + 1
k2 - (k-1)2 = 2 * (k-1) + 1
(k+1)2 - k2 = 2 * k + 1

Now we add the columns:
[22 - 12] + [32 - 22] +...+ [(k+1)2 - k2]
= [2 * 1+1] + [2*2+1] + [2*3+1]+...+[2*k+1]

The left hand side ''telescopes'' (that is, all but the first and last terms cancel) and the right side may be factored. The result is

(k+1)2 - 12 = 2[1+2+3+...k] + [1+1+1+...+1]
k times
or
k2 + 2 * k = 2 * S + k

Solving for S for we find that

S = (k2+k)/2

I am supposed to imitate the method used in the example problem to solve the challenge problem in the book as follows

Imitate the method used in the last problem to find a formula for the sum
12 + 22 + 32 + ... + k2

when k is a positive integer.

I have tried various things like (a+1)4 - a4, (a+1)3 - a3, triangle numbers, odd numbers, but I haven't been able to solve it. I just need a hint. This is not a homework problem. This is self study.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use

[tex] (k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2+3k+1[/tex]

and do summation on both side. By telescoping method, only 2 terms left in the left hand side. You need to do a little manipulation on the right hand side though.

Why not like the Contiguous Numbers: for example,P=1+2+3+4+5...+100 and the answer of P is (1+100)*100/2 , so the S=(1+k)*k/2

ross_tang said:
Use

[tex] (k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2+3k+1[/tex]

and do summation on both side. By telescoping method, only 2 terms left in the left hand side. You need to do a little manipulation on the right hand side though.

Thanks for the hint
I got my answer for S

S = (2k3+3k2+k)/6

You are right. You may want to do some factorization also.

[tex] S = \frac{ n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

1. What is the "A Challenge Problem in Techniques Of Problem Solving"?

The "A Challenge Problem in Techniques Of Problem Solving" is a problem or task that requires the application of various techniques and problem-solving methods to find a solution. It is designed to challenge individuals and test their critical thinking and analytical skills.

2. Why is it important to have challenge problems in techniques of problem solving?

Challenge problems in techniques of problem solving are essential because they offer opportunities for individuals to practice and improve their problem-solving skills. They also help individuals to think outside the box and develop creative solutions to complex problems, which is crucial in many fields of science and research.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve challenge problems?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve challenge problems, such as brainstorming, root cause analysis, decision trees, and the scientific method. Each technique has its advantages and can be applied depending on the nature of the problem.

4. How can challenge problems improve scientific research?

Challenge problems can improve scientific research by encouraging scientists to think critically and develop innovative solutions. They can also help identify knowledge gaps and inspire new research ideas. Additionally, solving challenge problems can lead to the development of new techniques and methods that can be applied in future research projects.

5. Are there any resources available to help individuals improve their problem-solving skills?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as books, online courses, and workshops, that can help individuals improve their problem-solving skills. These resources provide valuable insights into different problem-solving techniques and strategies, and offer opportunities for practice and feedback.