Graphical representation of complex roots to equations

In summary, The real root of f(x)=x²-4 is where the graph of y=f(x) cuts the x axis, but for complex roots, we need to look at a 3D or projected 2D representation. For the function g(x)=x²+4, the roots can be estimated by looking at the grid points in the "after" picture and tracing them back to the "before" picture. Another way to visualize complex roots is by looking at the vertex of the graph and using the formula x_0\pm i\sqrt{y_0}.
RK1992
I've never properly studied complex numbers but I will soon (in September). Basically:

We get taught from a young age that:
the real root of f(x)=x²-4 is where the graph of y=f(x) cuts the x axis

But is there a graphical representation of a complex root?

What's so special about the value x= +/- 2i if g(x)=x²+4 ? Is there a 3D graphical representation of this root?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, remember that "real root of f(x)" really means a number a such that f(a)=0. It doesn't need any geometric interpretation to make sense.

Some people like to think in terms of geometry rather than algebra; so the particular correspondence between them you invoked says that the roots of f(x) correspond to the intersection of the parabola defined by y=f(x) and the line y=0, just like you described.

The similar geometric interpretation for complex-valued functions of complex numbers requires 4 dimensions to draw. We can often get away with projecting onto a three-dimensional image, though. (Of course, we have to project that onto a two-dimensional image so that we can draw it, and things get messy)

Another common way is to instead draw a before and after picture of the complex plane. e.g. put a grid on the "before" picture, and in the "after" picture we see a picture of how f transformed the grid.

For this function, a good "before" picture is to make the grid out of rays emanating from the origin and circles whose center is the origin.

The after picture consists of lines passing through the point -4 + 0i, and circles centered on that point. The spacing between the circles is unchanged. However, the spacing between the lines has doubled, and the grid overlaps itself -- e.g. the two rays emanating from the origin at angles x° and (x+180)° both map to the same ray emanating from -4 + 0i at an angle of (2x)°.

In this picture, we can estimate the roots of f by looking at 0 + 0i in the "after" picture, identifying the grid points that lie there, and then finding where they came from in the "before" picture.

A simpler (or more simple minded) way of looking at it:

The equation [itex]x^2- 2ax+ a^2+ b^2= (x-a)^2+ b^2= 0[/itex] has roots \(\displaystyle x= a\pm bi\). It has complex roots, of course, because its graph does not cross the x-axis.

The vertex of the graph is where x= a so that itex]y= (x-a)^2+ b^2= b^2[/itex]. That is, the graph goes down to [itex](a, b^2)[/itex] and then back up again. In general, if the graph of [itex]y= x^2- ax+ b[/itex] lies entirely above the x-axis, and its vertex is at [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], then its roots are [itex]x_0\pm i\sqrt{y_0}[/itex].

I find the concept of complex roots fascinating and essential in understanding many mathematical and scientific phenomena. While we are often introduced to real roots and their graphical representations at a young age, complex roots and their graphical representations are typically explored in more advanced mathematics courses.

To answer your question, yes, there is a graphical representation of complex roots. Complex roots correspond to points on the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional plane where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. The value of x=+/-2i in the equation g(x)=x²+4 can be represented as points on the y-axis at 2i and -2i. These points are known as the imaginary roots of the equation.

In terms of a 3D graphical representation, it is possible to plot complex roots in three dimensions, but it requires a different type of graph known as a Riemann surface. This type of graph is commonly used in complex analysis to visualize complex functions and their roots.

Overall, understanding complex roots and their graphical representations is crucial in many areas of science, from quantum mechanics to electrical engineering. I encourage you to continue your studies in this area, and I am confident that you will find it both challenging and rewarding. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is a graphical representation of complex roots to equations?

A graphical representation of complex roots to equations is a visual representation of the solutions to an equation that includes complex numbers. It shows the real and imaginary components of the complex roots on a Cartesian plane.

2. Why is it important to graphically represent complex roots?

Graphically representing complex roots allows for a better understanding of the solutions to an equation and their relationship to each other. It also helps in identifying patterns and properties of complex numbers.

3. How do you graphically represent complex roots?

To graphically represent complex roots, plot the real and imaginary components of each root on a Cartesian plane. The real component is plotted on the x-axis while the imaginary component is plotted on the y-axis.

4. What do the different regions on the graph represent?

The different regions on the graph represent the different types of complex roots. The points on the x-axis represent real roots, while those on the y-axis represent pure imaginary roots. Points in the first and third quadrants represent complex roots with positive real and imaginary components, respectively. Points in the second and fourth quadrants represent complex roots with negative real and imaginary components, respectively.

5. Can you use graphical representation of complex roots to solve equations?

Yes, graphical representation of complex roots can aid in solving equations. By analyzing the graph, you can determine the number of complex roots, their approximate values, and any patterns or symmetries that may exist. This can help in finding the exact solutions to the equation.