Snapshot Tool for Presentations: How to Capture and Use Equations in PowerPoint

• Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
In summary, In order to take a "snapshot" from the equations I have in my arxiv papers and paste them into power point, you first have to do something inside the PDF file (namely, take snapshot of one of the equations there) and only THEN use the result of snapshot at powerpoint window.
causalset
I have always used transparencies to present in conferences, but right now I decided to do power point presentation. So for this I need to take a "snapshot" from the equations I have in my arxiv papers and paste them into power point. Can you guys tell me how to do the "snapshot"? I know I have done that when I have defended thesis, but I forgot how to do that (my girlfriend guided me through back then). So can you guys remind me of the procedure?

Another thing: right now I am using a different laptop than I used back then, so it is possible that snapshot tool was on my previous laptop but not this one. So the question is:

1) How to find out if I have snapshot tool in my current laptop?

2) How to download it if I don't have it? I prefer to make that download free since I don't have much money

3) Once I have snapshot, how to use it? What bottoms to push? What command to look for at the top of the screen, etc? I am really bad in computers I need a detailed description.

Physics news on Phys.org
PPT has microsoft equation editor.

Insert-> Object -> Microsoft equation 3.0

It is pretty easy to figure out and has a lot of symbols.

Integral said:
PPT has microsoft equation editor.

Insert-> Object -> Microsoft equation 3.0

It is pretty easy to figure out and has a lot of symbols.

What you described above sounds like something I would do in power point window. But in order to take a snapshot of the equation IN MY POSTED PAPER, I have to FIRST do something inside the PDF file (namely, take snapshot of one of the equations there) and only THEN use the result of snapshot at powerpoint window. So tell me the first step: how should I take snapshot in pdf file?

What integral was suggesting was that you rewrite the equations within powerpoint, rather than take a snapshot from your arXiv paper.

But if you insist on doing the latter, you can open your document, and capture a screenshot by hitting the PrintScreen key on your keyboard. This captures the active window and copies it to a clipboard. You can now open your preferred image editing program (say, Microsoft Paint), and hit CTRL-V to paste this image. Then use the crop tool to narrow down to the specific equations. Having done that, you copy (CTRL-C) and paste into PowerPoint.

Gokul43201 said:
But if you insist on doing the latter, you can open your document, and capture a screenshot by hitting the PrintScreen key on your keyboard.

Is printscreen the same as print? If not, how can I find printscreen? Also, why would it put stuff on key board?

Gokul43201 said:
This captures the active window and copies it to a clipboard.

But in that window there is more than just one equation which I want to paste.

Gokul43201 said:
You can now open your preferred image editing program (say, Microsoft Paint), and hit CTRL-V to paste this image.

By "opening a program" do you mean just open a window that represents that program? If so, why would this help? Or are you saying that by "open" you really mean "download"? I guess I am just confused on what you mean.

Gokul43201 said:
Then use the crop tool to narrow down to the specific equations.

What is "crop tool"?

causalset, this is going to be very difficult to walk you through, given the size of the hill to be climbed. Can you not find someone - a friend, or a neighbor - who can show you how it's done? I imagine that would be a lot quicker.

PS: Before you think about giving PowerPoint presentations, I would recommend you spend plenty of time becoming more familiar with your computer.

1. What is the Snapshot Tool for Presentations?

The Snapshot Tool for Presentations is a feature in PowerPoint that allows you to capture and use equations in your presentation slides. It is especially useful for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) presentations that require equations to be displayed.

2. How do I access the Snapshot Tool?

To access the Snapshot Tool, go to the Insert tab in PowerPoint and click on the Equation button. This will open a drop-down menu where you can select the Insert Equation option. From there, click on the Snapshot button to open the Snapshot Tool.

3. How do I capture an equation using the Snapshot Tool?

To capture an equation using the Snapshot Tool, first insert the equation into your slide using the Insert Equation option. Then, click on the Snapshot button and drag the crosshair cursor over the equation to capture it. You can also use the Copy button to save the equation to your clipboard for later use.

4. How do I use the captured equation in my presentation?

After capturing the equation using the Snapshot Tool, you can simply paste it onto your slide using the Paste button or by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V. The equation will appear as an image, but you can still edit it by double-clicking on it and using the equation editor.

5. Can I capture and use equations from external sources?

Yes, you can capture and use equations from external sources such as websites or other documents. Simply copy the equation from the external source and paste it onto your slide using the Paste button or by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V. You can then use the Snapshot Tool to capture and use the equation as desired.