Upside Down Pendulum: Does Gravity Affect Its Tick Speed?

• Thread starter gonegahgah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, it is possible to create an upside-down pendulum by attaching a weight above the pivot point and stabilizing it with springs. However, this system would not function as effectively as a normal pendulum and would only work within a limited range of gravity. Additionally, the tick rate of the upside-down pendulum would be slower in higher gravity, opposite to its normal counterpart. This concept is only approximately a simple harmonic oscillator and would not work in different gravitational fields.
gonegahgah
Pendulums tick faster when they weigh more. ie a falling pendulum in any gravity won't tick as it is effectively weightless..

I was wondering if it were possible to make an upside down pendulum?

I've imagined that you could have an arm with a weight that is above the pivot point instead of below. To keep it up there you would have the arm extend past the pivot point into the bottom area and have this lower part of the arm attached to the opposite sides of a frame by springs to both sides.

Although not as effective and long lasting as a normal pendulum I wonder if this can be done to create an upside down pendulum that ticks for awhile...

Now, I then have the question, would this upside down pendulum tick faster when it is on a table in higher relative gravity or would it tick slower for higher relative gravity - opposite to its normal counterpart?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, I then have the question, would this upside down pendulum tick faster when it is on a table in higher relative gravity or would it tick slower for higher relative gravity - opposite to its normal counterpart?
it would tick slower. But I think this question should belong to general physics, there's nothing relativistic about it.

Kool thanks ich.

The upside-down pendulum is unstable. If the springs were strong enough to stabilize it then, by definition they would dominate the behavior. You would essentially have a mass-spring system that would oscillate.

EDIT: actually, I just realized, a pendulum is only approximately a simple harmonic oscillator. The first (non-constant) term in the potential is quadratic, but there are also higher-order terms. If the springs exactly canceled out the quadratic term of the pendulum potential then you would be left with a stable fourth-order potential. It would oscillate, but not in simple harmonic motion. Also, it would not work right in different g fields. Higher fields and it would become unstable and lower fields and the spring would dominate.

Last edited:
I thought that might be the case, thanks Dale. You could only use it for a short range of comparative gravities before you would have to change the springs to one suited for the new range. Still, I'm pleased I have been able to think up a pendulum system that - way less than perfectly - at least mimics (poorly) the way time is affected in under gravity in the same direction of increase; whereas a normal pendulum is the opposite..

That's all I was curious about. Though of course a falling pendulum won't tick at all which is unlike the way time 'ticks' even when in free fall.

1. How does gravity affect the ticking speed of an upside down pendulum?

The force of gravity does not affect the ticking speed of an upside down pendulum. The ticking speed is determined by the length of the pendulum and the force of the initial push or pull.

2. Why does an upside down pendulum not fall due to gravity?

An upside down pendulum does not fall due to gravity because the force of gravity is constantly acting on the mass, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. However, the tension in the string or rod attached to the mass provides a centripetal force that keeps the mass moving in a circular motion, preventing it from falling.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its ticking speed?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum does affect its ticking speed. A heavier mass will have a slower ticking speed compared to a lighter mass with the same length and initial force. This is because a heavier mass requires more force to accelerate and maintain its circular motion.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its ticking speed?

The length of the pendulum is directly proportional to its ticking speed. This means that a longer pendulum will have a slower ticking speed compared to a shorter pendulum with the same mass and initial force. This is because a longer pendulum has a larger distance to travel in each swing, resulting in a longer period of time for each tick.

5. Can the ticking speed of an upside down pendulum be affected by other factors besides gravity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the ticking speed of an upside down pendulum, such as air resistance and friction in the pivot point. These factors can cause the pendulum to slow down over time, resulting in a decrease in the ticking speed. Additionally, changes in temperature and humidity can also affect the length and tension of the string or rod, which can also impact the ticking speed.