Linear algebra ordinary differential equations

In summary: If that's all there is then the book is typographically flawed. Do you see why if L[y]=0 then L[c*y]=0, where c is a constant?
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

I attached the problem in a picture, I'm not so good at making it show correctly on here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really unsure of what to do with this problem. I don't know where to start. Can someone please try to guide me through it so I understand? Thank you

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Either you chopped off part of the problem or the typesetters of your book did. What you've quoted doesn't tell you what they want you to show about V. I suspect they want you to show V is a vector space. Does that help?

Thats all that was given for that problem. I really don't know what to do

SpiffyEh said:
Thats all that was given for that problem. I really don't know what to do

If that's all there is then the book is typographically flawed. That's not even a question. It ends with a ',' where the question ought to be. You have two options i) you can complain about it and try to get out of trying to solve it or ii) you can guess what the problem should be (which is pretty obvious from the hint) and try to show V is a vector space.

well, I don't think I'm going to get out of it. It was typed by the professor, his questions tend to be confusing. I think ii would be my own option. How would I go about showing V is a vector space?

Use the hint. Show if L=0 and L[v]=0 then L[c1*u+c2*v]=0 where c1 and c2 are constants.

I don't know how to do that, that's why I'm having issues with the problem.

SpiffyEh said:
I don't know how to do that, that's why I'm having issues with the problem.

That's not good. Do you see why if L[y]=0 then L[c*y]=0, where c is a constant? Can't you factor a constant out of all of the derivatives?

I understand that part about how I can factor things out but I don't understand how to show that u,v are in V so that I can show the part with the constants.

SpiffyEh said:
I understand that part about how I can factor things out but I don't understand how to show that u,v are in V so that I can show the part with the constants.

You don't know why L[u+v]=L+L[v]? If D is one your derivatives isn't D[u+v]=D+D[v]??

I guess I was reading it wrong. I thought I had to prove that u,v are in V but since they are L = 0 amd L[v] = 0 so I can split it up like that and bring out the constants. I understand how it can be split up. But does the hint actually prove the point of the problem? Or is it too unclear to see?

You are given u and v are in V. That means L=0 and L[v]=0. If you are clear on why L[c1*u+c2*v]=0 meaning c1*u+c2*v is also in V then that's the whole problem. It means V is a vector space.

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and ordinary differential equations?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces, while ordinary differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a variable changes over time based on its current value and rate of change. In other words, linear algebra is focused on studying systems of equations, while ordinary differential equations are focused on studying how variables change over time.

2. What are the main applications of linear algebra and ordinary differential equations?

Linear algebra is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics, to model and solve systems of equations. Ordinary differential equations are used to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects.

3. How are linear algebra and ordinary differential equations related?

Linear algebra is often used to solve systems of ordinary differential equations. In particular, techniques such as matrix operations and vector spaces are used to represent and manipulate systems of equations, making them easier to solve. Additionally, many real-world problems involve both linear algebra and ordinary differential equations, so a combination of the two is often necessary for a complete solution.

4. What are the key concepts in linear algebra and ordinary differential equations?

In linear algebra, key concepts include matrices, vectors, systems of equations, and transformations. In ordinary differential equations, key concepts include derivatives, initial and boundary conditions, and existence and uniqueness of solutions. Both subjects also involve a variety of techniques for solving equations, such as Gaussian elimination and separation of variables.

5. How can I apply linear algebra and ordinary differential equations in my research or work?

Linear algebra and ordinary differential equations are widely used in many fields, so they can be applied in a variety of research or work settings. Some specific applications include data analysis, machine learning, control systems, and optimization problems. Additionally, understanding these subjects can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in many different areas.