Calculus book recommendation (CompSci)

In summary, the person is looking for resources to improve their knowledge in advanced calculus concepts, but is finding it time-consuming to go through rigorous texts. They recommend the later chapters of James Stewart's Early Transcendentals, which is easy to understand and not too rigorous. They also suggest supplementing learning with MIT open course ware videos and the textbook "Multivariable Calculus" by Edwards and Penney. Another recommendation is the Schaum's outlines on calculus for practice problems. However, another person disagrees and suggests the Larson textbook for better explanations and organization.
nwb
Hi there,

I was looking for something to level-up my knowledge from basic differentiation/integration (I'm a Computer Scientist by degree) to things like multivariable, vector calc and other more advanced concepts.

The problem is that working through definition-theorem-proof i.e. rigorous texts is rather time consuming for me, so I'm looking for something that will give me a working knowledge with a good level of depth discussing the concepts.

Many thanks,

nick

Physics news on Phys.org
The later chapters of James Stewart's Early Transcendentals (I'm going through 6th ed) is a solid book. Easy to understand and not too rigorous.
http://www.stewartcalculus.com/media/8_home.php

take a look at the drop down in the web links section as it outlines what chapters are in the book. The first 7-8 chapters are single variable, but it may be good to have to refresh your memory.
You can supplement your learning with the MIT open course ware videos for calculus 2:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02-multivariable-calculus-fall-2007/video-lectures/

Although I have not used this book, the MIT calc 2 course uses:

Edwards, Henry C., and David E. Penney. Multivariable Calculus. 6th ed. Lebanon, IN: Prentice Hall, 2002. ISBN: 9780130339676.

Ivan

Edward and Penney 6th edition is a very good textbook. It has got quite a good balance of concept without being too rigorous.

You can get one of
the Schaum's outlines on calculus too. It has many problems with solutions.

Good luck.

I have to disagree about Stewart. I find the prose obtuse and rambling, and the design/layout rather dense. I'm amazed that so many colleges use it. This is coming from a teacher who's tutored in Calculus, not from a student. My preference is Larson -- I think he explains things better, and the text is well-organized and presented. Just MHO.

What is calculus and why is it important in computer science?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important in computer science because it provides the foundation for many algorithms and mathematical models used in various computer science applications such as machine learning, data analysis, and computer graphics.

What should I look for in a calculus book for computer science?

When looking for a calculus book for computer science, it is important to look for one that has a strong emphasis on applications and problem-solving. It should also cover topics such as optimization, differential equations, and multivariable calculus, which are commonly used in computer science.

Are there any recommended calculus books specifically for computer science?

Yes, there are many calculus books that are specifically designed for computer science students. Some popular choices include "Calculus for Computer Science" by Anthony Ralston and Philip Rabinowitz, "Calculus for Computer Graphics" by John Vince, and "Essential Calculus for Computer Science" by Kenneth Hoffman and Ray Kunze.

Can I learn calculus for computer science without prior knowledge of calculus?

It is possible to learn calculus for computer science without prior knowledge of calculus. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before diving into calculus. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic programming concepts.

How can I make the most out of a calculus book for computer science?

To make the most out of a calculus book for computer science, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, using online resources to supplement your learning, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also beneficial to apply the concepts learned to real-world problems and projects in computer science.