How can I simplify a PDE with variable coefficients?

• Thread starter vargasjc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the speaker has spent a long time trying to solve a problem involving a partial differential equation. They are struggling to simplify it and are looking for help. Another person offers a potential solution and the speaker realizes they may need to revisit their approach. They are now searching for numerical solutions and acknowledge that a closed form solution may not be possible.
vargasjc
I have spent hours and hours trying to solve a problem until reaching a dead point. I don't know how to solve, simplify, or proceed next with the following PDE:

[tex]m \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2} + 2 \frac{\partial m}{\partial t} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + x \frac{\partial^2 m}{\partial t^2}=0[/tex]

Or, in other words: mx_tt + 2m_tx_t + xm_tt = 0

[tex]m x_{tt} + 2 m_{t} x_{t} + x m_{tt}[/tex]

I thought it'd be easier but I don't seem to be able to simplify it. Maybe it is a form I don't recognize.

JC

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to solve for? x and m are both unknown functions?

Your equation can be written as:

[tex]\frac{\partial ^2(m x)}{\partial t^2}=0[/tex]

And this can be solved easily. Hope it helps you.

Thanks.

It helped me solve the differential equation, and it also made me realize that the solution is not what I expected it to be. I believe I need to revisit the formulation.

Thanks again,

JC

You are welcome. Update us with your problem if you want.

I've ended up with a variable coefficient wave equation, so I'm browsing for numerical solutions of similar problems at ScienceDirect.

A closed form solution at this point is like asking Santa Claus for Dominion Over the Universe (yeah, um... not going to happen).

JC

1. What is the very interesting problem that you are studying?

The very interesting problem I am studying is the phenomenon of climate change and its impact on the environment.

2. How did you become interested in this problem?

I have always been fascinated by the Earth's natural systems and how they work together. As I learned more about climate change and its potential consequences, I became passionate about finding solutions to mitigate its effects.

3. What are some potential solutions to this problem?

There are a variety of potential solutions, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, implementing sustainable practices, and investing in renewable energy sources. It will likely require a combination of approaches to effectively address the issue.

4. What are the current impacts of climate change?

The current impacts of climate change include rising global temperatures, melting polar ice caps, severe weather events, and displacement of communities due to sea level rise. These effects are already having serious consequences on both the environment and human populations.

5. What can individuals do to help with this problem?

Individual actions can make a significant impact in mitigating climate change. Some ways to help include reducing energy consumption, using renewable energy sources, supporting sustainable businesses, and advocating for policies that address climate change. Every small action counts towards making a positive change.