Rindler coordinates introduction

In summary: This seems pretty complete to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindler_coordinatesDoes that work for you?
mglaros
Anyone know where I can find a good introduction to rindler coordinates and uniformly accelerating frames of reference in minkowski space? I have searched the internet but haven't been able to find anything too helpful. I would especially like a good derivation of the rindler coordinates. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw this. I don't know how wikipedia arrives at the relationships between x,y,z and t in the new frame. Would you mind elaborating on this?

mglaros said:
I saw this. I don't know how wikipedia arrives at the relationships between x,y,z and t in the new frame. Would you mind elaborating on this?
When reading wikipedia articles it's always good to look at the references in the article if you want more info, in this case the article links to a section of a textbook which is viewable on google books which shows details of how the coordinate transformation is derived (note that the abbreviation 'MCIF' is defined earlier on p. 235 as 'momentarily comoving inertial frame')

Great! Thanks guys!

I made this java demo last year, but did not realize until this weekend that it simulates the Rindler Horizon. (I knew it did something strange and surprising, but I didn't know it was called the Rindler Horizon.)

http://www.wiu.edu/users/jdd109/stuff/relativity/LT.html

(1) Draw several approximately vertical lines on the diagram (click, drag, and release)
(2) Press the "Constant Acceleration" Button, and the "Pass Time" button.
(3) Wait, and watch as the vertical lines converge to one line; The point where change in length contraction over time, and the change in position over time exactly cancel out.
(4) At the point where the blue lines meet the horizontal axis, click to create an event. This event will remain stationary for a little while before drifting off. If you could click exactly on the point, (and there weren't any rounding errors or discontinuous velocity jumps in the demo) the event would stay perfectly stationary.
(5) If you want to draw a photon, try to find the slope where the line turns red.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Rindler coordinates?

Rindler coordinates are a set of coordinates used to describe the geometry of a flat spacetime in special relativity. They are often used to analyze the effects of acceleration and reference frames in relativity.

2. How are Rindler coordinates related to Minkowski coordinates?

Rindler coordinates are related to Minkowski coordinates through a transformation that takes into account the effects of acceleration. In Minkowski coordinates, acceleration is not considered, but in Rindler coordinates, it is a crucial factor in the geometry of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of Rindler coordinates in physics?

Rindler coordinates are significant in understanding the effects of acceleration and reference frames in special relativity. They allow us to analyze the relativistic effects of accelerated motion, which is crucial in many areas of physics, including astrophysics and cosmology.

4. How are Rindler coordinates used in black hole physics?

In black hole physics, Rindler coordinates are used to describe the spacetime near the event horizon of a black hole. This allows us to understand the Hawking radiation emitted by black holes and the effects of acceleration on objects falling into a black hole.

5. Can Rindler coordinates be extended to describe curved spacetimes?

Yes, Rindler coordinates can be extended to describe curved spacetimes. However, this requires the use of more advanced mathematical techniques, such as tensors and differential geometry, to accurately describe the geometry of the spacetime. In this case, they are often referred to as accelerated coordinates.