Doing fractional superscripts in latex

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with posting mathematical equations on a forum and the problems caused by the browser's cache. Some tips are given for properly using LaTeX code and refreshing the page to see any changes made. It is mentioned that everyone experiences this problem due to the PF server's caching settings.
NotaPhysicist

Homework Statement

I know this is the wrong place. I tired to post in Science materials but it wouldn't let me.

Trying to do this in latex

t_n = ar^(n-1)

[tex]t_n=ar^{n-1} [/tex]Getting weird results. I'm using Chrome on Vista. Its driving me nuts. I'm trying to post questions. Can someone sort me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've edited your post. Click on the equation to see the required input.

Assuming that you are interested in fractional exponents, here are a couple of ways of doing them. Click on either to see the underlying LaTeX code.

[tex]e^{x/2}[/tex]
[tex]e^{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Thank you for doing that.

In other words use { and } to group things you want all in the same superscript (or subscript or numerator or ...). If you actually want a "{" or "}" as, for example, in designating sets, use \{ and \}.

The problem had turned out to be the browser. Once I write some latex markup and click "preview", I get my first look at the result. Subsequently if I want to see revisions after clicking "preview" again, I have to refresh the page. Otherwise I see the old markup in the newly reviewed page. It will even show the markup from the last post if I don't refresh. So whatever edits I was doing to the markup, it wasn't showing up in my browser until I refreshed the page.

Using Chrome on Vista. Probably a cache problem. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, the same problem. I use Mozilla and windows XP. Nothing helps. When I post it, the Latex code is usually correct. But it is impossible to edit. I have to remove and type in again.

ehild

I think everyone has this problem. It's really the PF server's fault, since the server sends HTTP headers directing browsers to cache all images in a post preview for a week, and then it reuses the same URLs even if the LaTeX code changes. So there's no way to get around it without disabling the cache, or refreshing the page. (In Firefox, you can right click on an image, control-click "View Image" which will open it in a new tab, and then refresh that without having to refresh the whole page)

1. How do I do a fractional superscript in LaTeX?

To do a fractional superscript in LaTeX, you can use the command \frac{numerator}{denominator} followed by the superscript symbol ^ and the desired exponent. For example, \frac{1}{2}^3 will produce 1/23.

2. Can I use a variable as the exponent in a fractional superscript?

Yes, you can use a variable as the exponent in a fractional superscript. Simply replace the desired exponent with the variable name in the ^ symbol. For example, \frac{1}{2}^{x} will produce 1/2x.

3. How can I change the size and position of a fractional superscript?

You can change the size and position of a fractional superscript by using the \left and \right commands. For example, \frac{1}{2}^{\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)} will produce 1/2(3/4).

4. Is it possible to have more than one fractional superscript in a single equation?

Yes, you can have multiple fractional superscripts in a single equation. Simply use the ^ symbol and the desired exponent after each fraction. For example, \frac{1}{2}^3 \times \frac{1}{3}^2 will produce 1/23 x 1/32.

5. How do I do a fractional superscript inside a text block in LaTeX?

To do a fractional superscript inside a text block in LaTeX, you can use the \textsuperscript command followed by the desired exponent. For example, 1/2\textsuperscript{3} will produce 1/23 within a text block.